Bloomin' cheap Jigsaw!

In message , G&M writes

I have a sneaky feeling there's plastic and plastic. I have dropped a cast metal drill and knackered it whereas a similar plastic bodied drill suffering a much worse fall is still going.....

Reply to
mark

He must have had a lot of money then.

I don't doubt he had these being so wealthy.

Read the bit on the top.

Reply to
IMM

It's the time travel that does it. He needs to have a word with Basil Exposition.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Bet that wasn't an original Wolf though, was it ? The floor used to lose in arguments with those :-)

Reply to
G&M

Are you implying that this man is speaking sense?

Reply to
IMM

I expect that he has a rather better idea of which tools his dad had than you would, wouldn't you think?

Basically you have said that power tools were expensive 30 and 40 years ago and tradespeople didn't use them. Evidence is being provided to the contrary.

I can remember there being DIY and trade power tools in use in the 60s and 70s as well....

Given that, it would appear that you have made a mistake.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That is not the point. You must learn to focus.

That they were.

They did, but ,most journeymen never.

None whatsoever. Just some fella and his Dad.

There was. The term DIY was not used. Trades people had to use 110v. The B&Ds from the High St stores were not allowed. They were not double insulated for a start.

You have no idea.

Reply to
IMM

In message , G&M writes

No :) Black and Decker I seem to recall. My Dads old Wolf *is* still going 34 years on. It's a half metal half plastic one though...

Reply to
mark

In message , IMM writes

Er no.

At the time he bought stuff he reckoned would make his work easier.

I'll concede they were dearer then but I dispute your claim; 'Journeymen never used them'.

Reply to
mark

In message , IMM writes

Either you're so old no one would bother to give you a slap or you spend a lot of time on your own.

Reply to
mark

In message , IMM writes

Like me and my dad you mean?

Who were/are both in the trade.

Reply to
mark

I knew few who did.

Reply to
IMM

I said "most journeymen never".

And not representative.

Reply to
IMM

He isn't speaking sense.

Reply to
IMM

They were around, but not common. No H&S legislation then - or at least not to the same extent. And most would be owned by firms, not individual crasftsmen. They weren't regarded as hand tools.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the contrary this is a recognised and well tried method of overcoming the problem I described.

Some times it is best to keep you mouth shut and appear a fool than open it and prove it.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

I've got a fairly old B&D power plane of the type where the depth of cut is set by a moving front part of the bed, and it's possible to avoid damaging the end of the cut through transferring hand pressure to the back of the plane towards the end of the cut - certainly well enough for something like the bottom of a door - although you'd be best to plane this in from either end anyway, given the end grain at start and finish of most.

Like many tools, a power plane requires a modicum of skill to use properly, although there are no doubt some workrounds to minimise this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Game set and match. Though I expect somebody won't be looking at the scoreboard :-)

Reply to
G&M

Which cowboys did you have in mind ? Eagles or Doobies ?

Reply to
G&M

The likes of YOU!

Reply to