Jigsaw blades

Does anyone know where you can get jigsaw blades for wood where the teeth are not in a parallel line with the direction of blade motion?

I ask because I do not have a pendulum jigsaw, and this tooth arrangement would have the same effect.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

What angle do you expect them to be? 90 degrees to the blade?? You can get blades that are for cutting laminate that cut on the down stroke.

Reply to
BillR

No, just a few degrees. That way, only a few of the teeth will be in contact with the wood, so there would be less friction, so the blade would not heat up as much, and the reduced friction would result in the blade moving faster.

I have used down stroke cutting blades. I would think teeth lined up at 90 degrees to the angle of movement would require even more force to hold the jigsaw down

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Don't understand? All my wood cutting jigsaw blades are offset like this, I thought they all were...

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

So are mine... they wouldn't cut otherwise would they? We must be misunderstanding what the OP means ...

Reply to
BillR

snip

Sounds like you want fewer teeth. Alternatively a slower feed rate

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

How do you mean "are not in a parallel line with the direction of blade motion" ?

A saw blade works by pushing the material it loosens, out to the sides of the cut. So teeth on the blade have to be made with an offset angle, like little chisels, to make sure the material you're cutting doesn't get jammed in the edges of the slot the blade is making.

Reply to
BigWallop

Imagine the tip of the blade is slightly thicker (front to back) than the "jigsaw end". Or that the line of the teeth from jigsaw end to blade tip is slightly sloped in relation to the back of the blade.

On the down stroke, only the tip of the blade is touching the wood. As the blade moves to its full travel, the jigsaw will be moving forward (if you are pushing on it). Then, on the up stroke, the thickness of the slant is cut out.

On a non pendulum jigsaw, the blade is all in contact with the wood on the down stroke, and you are pushing on it, making more heat, and slowing the blade.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Surely this will only work properly if you can syncronise your pushing with the relevant stroke. i.e. you'd need to push the jigsaw forward on the downstroke to take up the 'slack' and then stop to allow the blade to do the work on the upstroke.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Nicholls

The idea is that it cuts the wood that is in the way on the upstroke.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I understand what you're suggesting, but if you're pushing forward on the downstroke at least part of the blade will still be in contact with the wood. Also, if you're pushing forward on the upstroke all of the blade will remain in contact with the wood.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Nicholls

Its probably me but I can't really understand that at all... If you want the advantages of a pendulum jigsaw, then why not get one?

Reply to
BillR

Blades are cheaper...

Bob