Bloody foreign call centres

FFS. It's just general banter based on your latitude.

Reply to
ARW

:-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

And the UK is more northern than France and Italy;-)

Reply to
ARW

B.s. why would it be racist?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I don't know anyone who would view that joke as racist.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Because it involves

- a joke

- a person from a foreign country.

generally thats all you need

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But who is being racist?

The one who thinks being a different colour makes the joke either racist or not?

Reply to
dennis

Very interesting but it doesn't explain what's racist about the joke. Or (since you specified white *male*) what's sexist about it.

Someone snipped the joke, but here it is again:

"I'm going to India on holiday next week & I wanted to know what the weather was like. So I phoned my bank."

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You might say that - I couldn't possibly comment.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Crap

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I call this PC paranoia. It's in your mind.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

But the joke wasn't about Indians, it was (if I must spell it out for you) about the bank out-sourcing its help desks.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Exactly, and who won WWII was it France or Italy? So they are softer than we Brits.

Reply to
soup

If anything, it was 'bankist'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So, it was (in effect) the truth. To suppress the truth on any grounds is (in the context of this thread) itself racist/sexist/etc. as the suppression is done only on those grounds. At the extreme end, akin to the police not pursuing rapists of teenagers because the criminals happened to be brown and have non-English superstitions.

Reply to
PeterC

Had a problem with PlusNet - takes me a couple of days to tune in to them there furrin accents.

Reply to
PeterC

On Wednesday 24 April 2013 22:28 Gib Bogle wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Let's put it in a hypothetical context:

1) Everyone outsources call centres to Alabama, USA. 2) They employ cheap locals who work off a crap script, cannot deviate and have thick accents and have zero local knowledge of the UK. Thus the whole concept of outsourced call centres becomes a source of derision - like now.

Now run the joke as:

"I'm going to America on holiday next week & I wanted to know what the weather was like. So I phoned my bank."

Is it racist? Is it (within the alternate universe as stated) as funny?

Reply to
Tim Watts

And if I must spell it out for you, and it seems I must, the point was being made that Shappi Khorsandi can make this joke because of her ethnicity whereas a white male could not.

My point is that the group likely to be offended (if at all) consider Iranians to be white Westerners hence as offensive (if at all) as other white Westerners.

That is, I was highlighting that the explanation was incorrect, not claiming that the joke was racist.

I'm sorry that the fine distinction escaped you.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Russians won it - the Italians changed sides half way through.

Reply to
ARW

Is this not where harry should chip in and say "they all look the same to me AND they should not be allowed into this country"?

Reply to
ARW