What is this?

What is the thing on the bottom?

The thing on the top is a sparkplug gap gauge. The whole thing was in my late friend's truck.

Reply to
Micky

It looks like the tool you use to repair ball marks on the green.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hey, you're right. I knew it looked familiar, but it must have been

40+ years ago that I saw one. He didn't play golf afaik but his father might have.

I forgot to mention that it says Harshaw ColorPlate on it, but there's almost nothing about Harshaw in google.

Reply to
Micky

I don't totally know what it is, but golf players often carry them. My friend Bob Anderson was a big golf player, but he died a couple years back. Maybe some one at a golf pro shop can answer your question?

You might get a jargon answer. "Oh, when you bogie on the back fairway, you need to divot your putt, so you can play through, and you need one of these." I guess if you are easy to please and gullible, that answer will keep you wondering.

OTOH, might be another mechanic tool. Used to adjust the whippet tappet on the crank shaft piston rod free play cylinder valve assembly under the distributor on internal combustion overhead valve engines with flo jet carburetion fuel delivery systems. Know I'm sayin, bro?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

...the other side is for tightening/changing shoe spikes.

Reply to
bob_villain

You still refuse to eliminate reference to a nonexistent original post don't you? Have you always been this stubborn?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

On 06/01/2016 3:42 AM, Micky wrote: ...

Saw that (at least the Harshaw part)...I'd guess it was an advertising piece...maybe a local/regional paint manufacturer/distributor or somesuch???

Reply to
dpb

His father and, later, he owned a metal plating company, in Baltimore. I wonder if the two businesses are related somehow.

Reply to
Micky

Yes, he has

Reply to
ChairMan

Candidly, I have no clue what you are talking about. I try to do a reasonable job of trimming text. Might not meet your perfection, but I have no idea why.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll take a guess. This may be what he is complaining about...

The original subject line of this thread is "What is this?"

The subject line for your first response reads as follows:

"Re: What is this? (golf tool of some kind)"

It appears as if you are referencing (via "Re:") a thread entitled:

"What is this? (golf tool of some kind)"

There is no thread entitled "What is this? (golf tool of some kind)" so Gordon is complaining that you are referencing a thread that doesn't exist.

Gordon...do I have that right? Obviously I can't see what you are seeing, so I may be misunderstanding your unhappiness with Stormy's methods.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ball mark repair tool and golf cleat tool.

The long part is used to repair the mark a ball leaves on a green. The short part is used to tighten and loosen the spikes on the bottom of the golf shoe.

Reply to
badgolferman

Ah! So, it was a golfers device. Thank you, you are very kind. And keep your head down. You may play through any day.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You have it 100% correct!

I have explained it to him numerous times. You understand it perfectly, why can't stormy?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I've learned over the years to change the subject line as the subject changes. This is common courtesy and old world manners. Why can't Gordon understand it perfectly?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Derby Dad can explain the strange and singular quoting technique. Derby, you have that right.

Gordon, why can't you explain that?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't have a problem with you changing the subject line. Obviously you don't understand that.

I, and maybe many others, do have a problem when the "re: " precedes the renamed subject line giving one the impression there is an original post -- which there isn't. Obviously you don't understand that either.

Quit acting like a liberal.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

WTF?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Except that you are not doing it right, at least not in this case.

1 - The subject line of this thread was "What is it". The subject has not changed, but the question has been answered. Why are you including the answer in the subject line?

2 - Your use of Re: is the main problem. That is what is screwing up some newsreaders. Why can't you understand that perfectly.

That has been Gordon's complaint all along.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't even bother. Stormy's playing his games again.

Reply to
DerbyDad03