Blocking up an internal doorway

Blocking up an internal doorway open original image

Hi we are looking to block up the doorway pictured but not sure where to begin or what we might need to consider. It is a 1960s semi with concrete floors. The other side of this wall is the kitchen and will have cabinets fixed to it. Wondering if better to use brick/block? do we need to consider the load bearing? how best to tie in with the existing brick wall? etc. etc. Any and all advice gratefully received. Many thanks!

Reply to
Georgina

If it's a masonry wall, blocks are fine, after removing the timber frame. You can buy sliding whatsits to connect 2 walls together. A handful of ss screws half way into the existing wall is cheaper. The new wall traps them in its mortar courses.

Cabinets could be fixed to wood strips tha runs to either side of the door opening, to reduce the side load on the new bit.

Reply to
Animal

These internal walls might be 3 inch blocks (My 1976 semi has these internally), which means you won't find them in Wickes or B&Q. You will have to get some from a builders merchant.

You should dig down through the screed (about 80mm thick) and build up from the construction slab and after removing the door lining, drill into the existing wall blocks every course and tap in a plastic plug and a 3 to 4 inch screw that sticks out at least 2 inches. This will tie the new blockwork into the old. If you are hanging heavy cupboards on the kitchen side, this is almost essential because the vertical joins of old and new will not have overlapping blocks for strength.

Alternatively infill with 3x2 studwork that is well fixed vertically with frame anchors then infill with some heavy duty rockwool and fit 12.5mm plasterboard + plaster.

On the kitchen side you could fit a bit of 18mm OSB or ply before the plasterboard and this will provide enough strength for wall cabinets

Reply to
Andrew

When covering up (not removing) a window between our kitchen and conservatory, I used 3x2 framing and plasterboard and ensured that a horizontal timber aligned with the bottom edge of where the cupboards would rest, to provide strength for where the bottom corners might try to dig in There was no need to worry about the top edge, as the fixings fell in the wall above the catnic.

Reply to
SteveW