Blocking up a double door sized doorway

I have a room (10'X10') off my lounge which I have started to use as an office. Between the room and the lounge there is a double door sized doorway connecting the 2 rooms with bi-folding louvre doors.

I need to block the door way to effectively sound proof the office from the lounge.

I have considered getting in a bricky but before I do this (this also seems very final) I am trying to think up ways and I can do some basic DIY to block the doorway.

Consider I am very much a basci DIY'er - I am thinking of building a wooden frame, mounted in the door way, insulate with loft insulation material then pin large wood boards(??!!) or plaster board(??!!) or something over the top??

Anyone got some suggestions????

many thanks

Reply to
LongYP

You've already answered your own question, timber, fibreglass and p-board...just make sure the timber + two thicknesses of p-board are the same as the existing wall, screw the pb on for rigidity rather than nails, cavity batts are probably easier for working with than loft insulation and more dense too.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

Reply to
LongYP

Yes but you can minimise this by using scrim at the edges

Reply to
Phil L

Reply to
Curious

As others have said, inserting some studding and covering it with plasterboard is fairly easy.

Another alternative is simply to throw up some blockwork, and then get a plasterer to plaster it. That will probably make a better job of sound-proofing, and you're less likely to get cracks in the plaster where the new bit joins to the existing brickwork.

If you - or a subsequent ower - want to restore the doorway, demolishing the blockwork is not really any more difficult than demolishing a stud partition.

I assume that there's a lintel over the doorway - so you won't have to worry about your solution needing to support whatever is above it?

Reply to
Roger Mills