blocked toilet! Andrex wet wipes - the culprit! How to unblock?

Ian Cornish typed

Had another look at the Andex Moistened packet; not only do they state the product is 'flushable' but there is no longer any caveat about macerator toilets, which I think I saw previously.

I'm beginning to think the manufacturers ought to be liable for their product blocking toilets when used as suggested, and for subsequent expense.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Can I get one from B&Q or homebase?

I've looked on the homebase website and can't find it.

If it costs =A310 and I really can do it by myself, I will.. better than paying =A360!

Reply to
john.islington

| |The Medway Handyman wrote: |> snipped-for-privacy@mac.com wrote: |> > I rent. |> >

|> > I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs |> > yesterday and it's not a pretty site |> >

|> > ugh |>

|> You can buy a toilet unblocking device from most DIY sheds. A bit like a |> spring about 10mm in diameter. Look at Drain Augers here |>

|> -- |> Dave |> The Medway Handyman |>

|> 01634 717930 |> 07850 597257 | | |Can I get one from B&Q or homebase? | | |I've looked on the homebase website and can't find it. | |If it costs ?10 and I really can do it by myself, I will.. better than |paying ?60!

I checked the B&Q and Wickes websites, and neither included anything like that, even though the stores have bog clearing equipment. Real DIY would lower the tone ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

|Ian Cornish typed | |> Of course, whilst the OP was sitting on the toilet, he could have read |> the packet of the wipes, which clearly (at least on the packet I have, |> it does) that you should not flush down the toilet, but dispose of in |> the bin. | |Had another look at the Andex Moistened packet; not only do they state |the product is 'flushable' but there is no longer any caveat about |macerator toilets, which I think I saw previously. | |I'm beginning to think the manufacturers ought to be liable for their |product blocking toilets when used as suggested, and for subsequent |expense.

Well it is worth OP sending a letter, may not work immediately but maybe eventually they may change the liable.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'm sure I bought one in B&Q some time ago, the websites are almost completely useless. Go and have a look.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:36:15 GMT someone who may be "Dan delaMare-Lyon" wrote this:-

Perhaps people should retaliate by installing paperless toilets.

David Hansen

Just looked at Wickes site

they have them at £9:99. Also Drain Blasters at £7:99
I've only used the augers on toilets.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Go old school and use your hand - its one of the reasons you were born with a hand :)

Reply to
mo

Not even people running Windows? Surely that's worse than cleaning out a biology lab sink..... :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Get a bag of postfix (about 3 quid) and pour it down the pan. Do the same to the bath and basin. Then at least the blockage won't come back into your bathroom.

Oh and move house :)

Reply to
Matt

Shouldn't put anything metal at all down there as the glaze is soft and easily damaged. Eventually the whole bowl will need replacing.

john2

Reply to
john2

Good point, but they don't know any better. Now Windows, *that's* disgusting...

Reply to
Huge

It's one of the reasons you were born with *two* hands.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

B&Q definately.

And at least your digestive health will not be the subject of ribald comment in the Plumbers' Rest.

Have you *still* not got that toilet sorted yet!!!!!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Your left hand of course and you never eat using you left hand or offer it to anybody else.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's good coming from someone who can't even pluck up the courage to clear his own bog from his own doings.

How are you going to cope with a strangers bog, probably caked in dried faeces and line scale and full of the strangers doings?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Fawthrop wrote

Lidl el-cheapo recycled is waterproof and does dam up drains with ease :) Their very cheap bog rolls are also a lot narrower than (UK) standard sizes which I'm sure makes people use more paper per wipe. Just using a few sheets doesn't cover the kak hand sufficiently.

Reply to
Alan

Hence the reason why people like me are called kak handed.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

update - been putting BOILING HOT water down the pan

(don't know why. I'm kinda hoping the hot water will dissolve the obstruction)

There is no way in hell my hands are going down there. NO WAY. I'll pay the =A360 to get it cleared, so long as I don't have to touch it!!!

Reply to
john.islington

In message , snipped-for-privacy@mac.com writes

WIMP