blocked water line to toilet?

I own my condo, and over the past few months they've been servicing the waste-water lines, which involves shutting them off for a few hours. all my water pressure is normal since the servicing, however, my toilet refills very slowly. I noticed for the first few days since the servicing that when turning on the shower, I would see tiny little grainules of dirt or whatever in the first burst of water.

I checked the refill line inside the toilet reservoir and there was no blockage. but when I went to increase the pressure from the in-flow line at the base of the toilet, the flow stopped completely. when I applied pressure to the main connection to the wall, I could hear water inside and even got a tiny little spray. is there blockage in there perhaps? have a few of these little clumps collected and formed a mass perhaps? where should I look for the main valve to shut this off so I can take it apart and inspect it?

it's the 4th of july weekend and I don't want to have to wait for the property management to show up to look at it. is this something I can fix myself? help! it's my only bathroom!

thanks,

jrm

Reply to
Jrm

Huh?? You could hear water *inside* the wall?? Got spray from where??

I would leave this ALONE on a Holiday weekend!!

is there blockage in there perhaps? have a

Fill a few buckets from the bathtub or elsewhere and refill the toilet tank from them.

If the tank has a Fluid Master ballcock (plastic float rides up and down a rod), there could be tiny specs of dirt inside the "seal" rubber washer. After shutting water off, you can twist the black cap off the top with a qtr turn to get at the seal.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

ha. it's early in the morning. I just realized I could shut off the valve on the wall and get access to the tubing leading to the reservoir from the wall. duh. however, if this doesn't work I suppose I'll have to call the property management or worse, a plumber. still, I'm heading out of town for the weekend, so I'll just leave the valve shut off (meaning turned all the way to the right, or IN, as it were, yeah?) while I'm gone to avoid "the worst."

thanks again.

jrm

Reply to
Jrm

fill a bucket up with water from the tub... use this to flush the toilet.. and after the weekend have the property person shut off the water to the toilet and they will remove the supply line and then turn it back on to flush out the supply line which is filled with particles that are blocking it... if you have to ask how to shut the water off you do not want to mess with it.... let them do it...

Reply to
dbird

Also check that the fill tube that runs into the overflow tube (if you have one) is not blocked. I had to rod mine out with a wire due to much the same cause (maintenance work).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

yeah, I pulled it off to inspect it, and there's just nothing coming out of the spout that the fill tube connects too. I'm gonna tackle this problem tomorrow. for now, the shower-head conveniently reaches the tank.... old-tymey for sure.

jrm

Reply to
Jrm