Blasted burglar alarm

My burglar alarm went faulty during the night and went off. No problem, I thought, I simply reset it and left it until the morning, I also noticed that it thought there was no power. About an hour later the outside bell started off, as there was no power to the alarm I could not reset it. It kept sounding for most of the night until its internal battery ran flat, at least that is what I assume. There was no way I was going up a ladder at 4.0am! Needless to say no one responded, so what is the point anyway, I am thinking of leaving it broke!
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

How well do you know your neighbours?
If mine goes off, usually a couple of sets of neighbours come and investigate. Similarly, if someone else's goes off, I go out to investigate. Of course, if you suffer multiple false alarms, then the enthusiasm of the neighbours quickly vanishes. (If you are fitting your own alarm, I suggest you don't connect up the external sounder until you've gone for several months with no false alarms, or you can easily blow any good-will with a few teething problems causing false alarms.)
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Good Idea about not fitting the alarm until the system is fully tested. Fitted my system in '92, works fine, but I really must make the effort to fit the outside alarm, maybe next summer!
--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"
Broadback wrote:

It looks like it thought right!

Yep
Have you investigated what happened to the power (and to your neighbours)?
Tim
Tim Downie wrote:

It is only the second time it has had a false alarm in nine years, so the neighbours are not p***ed off, just uninterested. I will have a look at the alarm, the power to the alarm is ok, I think the internal psu has gone tilt.
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Sounds like you've got an old bell box, modern ones will cut off after 20mins. It might be worth changing the box or just the guts for something more modern.
These aren't bad: http://cpc.farnell.com/SR05455
--
fred

Yes, I've used those. They come with instructions to connect up to about 4 or 5 different alarms. If yours isn't one of those, you have to work out how to connect it up. I did the trial and error testing with the sounder box in the living room buried under all the cushions off the sofas!
CPC has them on special offer from time to time, although probably only about a quid off.
--
Andrew Gabriel
try www.ukpanels.com/forum1