blackboard paint

A long time ago, I asked whether blackboard paint and matt black paint were the same. The confusion was because International paints sold two different tins but then contradicted themselves by advertising the matt black paint as "suitable for blackboards"! I asked International what the difference was between the two and even they didn't know!

It was suggested here that blackboard paint was more abrasive, so that the chalk rubbed off onto it. Someone else said try some and see and let us know, so sorry for the delay but I have finally tried rolling some matt black paint onto an off cut of mdf and the chalk works perfectly. Since then I have seen a number of other manufacturers selling one tin for both matt black and blackboard use, so I think e can conclude that the two are pretty much the same.

HTH

Reply to
Fred

How do they compare for marks? I recall things I used to paint with matt black, looked good so long as one didn't brush against them: didn't actually need chalk to write on them!

spamlet

Hmmm - dunno about that Fred: I have an old tin of blackboard paint, and whereas ordinary paint would solidify over the course of time (in this case: about 30 years! :-) ) this paint has separated out, into a liquid layer of thin black stuff, over what seems to be black concrete. I'm impressed with it: I'd like to make a blackboard now, just so I could try it out.

John

Reply to
Another John

I guess if blackboard made of matt paint wouldnt last very long in a school with lots of writing on and rubbing off.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Trying to answer two posts at once: I haven't got a tin of blackboard paint, only a tin of matt black paint so I haven't been able to make two boards and compare them for scuff-resistance. So far I haven't noticed a problem but it is early days and not in a position where it gets knocked easily. Nor have I had the tins for thirty years, so I can't say if there are any differences further down the line.

I certainly don't consider myself an expert so I am happy to be proven wrong. This all began when I bought a tin of International black matt paint which said "suitable for blackboards" but then I noticed they sold a special blackboard paint. I asked them what the difference was and even they weren't sure! Since then I have seen some shops selling one tin (of other brands) that is labeled as both matt black/blackboard so for those manufacturers the matt black and blackboard paint is one and the same. Clearly with other manufacturers, e.g. International, they are two different products.

The suggestions here that blackboard paint should contain an abrasive made sense and perhaps that is the sediment you saw? But who knows how the formulations have changed in the last thirty years?

As far as the international paints go, neither they nor I could really tell a difference but YMMV! I painted onto mdf with a roller if that makes any difference?

Reply to
Fred

Of course you aren't allowed by the PC police to have 'blackboards' these days... ;--)

I'd have thought that blackboard paint would contain some material much harder than chalk to break down the chalkstick without being degraded itself. In reality very few 'blackboards' were actually totally black, especially after being wiped by those unfortunate school pupils nominated to "clean the board" :-)

Are roller blackboards such as molished by 'Wilson & Garden' still in use, or are they all now replaced by those 'interactive' white boards (which sound just as much non-PC)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I don't think chalkboards have been used for years. Non solvent drymarker boards so no solvent fumes or chalk dust to affect H&S.

Interactive WBs seem the in thing, judging from SWMBO's conversations with youngest, both working in schools.

Just *DON'T* use your computer for email to send to last night's extavaganza praising their performance whilst plugged into one, particularly when one's partner also works at the same school! It cam be more than embarrassing and has been done.

Reply to
<me9