Bit OT: KVM switches

Err, new at Dabs is ~£14 + delivery.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Last time I bought some (a couple of months ago) I was amazed how much they've come down. I remember paying £20+ per set of cables not so long ago.

Reply to
Grunff

Going slightly further afield here, but is it possible to arrange a KVM as a "pass-through" device so you can still use a keyboard and mouse on the second machine rather than the ones attached via KVM on the primary machine ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

This is the sort of thing I buy cheaply (new) from weekend computer fairs...

Andrew Gabriel

Ta, I shall look at that.

Reply to
Huge

On 30 Jan 2005 17:34:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) strung together this:

I use VNC on all my machines, which is handy as I can sort other family members problems without leaving the chair. One thing it is pretty useless for, (unless anyone can tell me otherwise), is to use on a headless machine that requires a login, as the VNC server doesn't start until you've logged in.

For anything more than a bit of basic stuff it's a PITA. That's why I got the KVM.

Reply to
Lurch

If they're both Windows PCs you might like to take a look at this as well:

's not free, but it's only $15 and it works brilliantly. I use it regularly and it's been 100% dependable. It has features that are specific to Windows and you might (might!) not get on a more general- purpose product, e.g. send Ctrl+Alt+Del, reboot the other PC, etc.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Not for the Belkin model I'm talking about.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I got got good sets from CPC not lnong ago - nice quality...about 8 quid a set AFAIR.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I forgot to mention that Dabs is almost as much a risk as ebuyer these days!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think you can get UltraVNC to run as a service, which should sort that.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can simply not connect all the wires. I.e. just connect video to a PC and you can switch the KVM so that your monitor displays its output, but you use the mouse and keyboard connected to the computer rather than the KVM ones.

(Also handy if you get a KVM that can do manual switching as well as function key switching)

Reply to
John Rumm

One thing to watch if you use very hires (or high scan rate) video modes (i.e. 1280x1024 @ 85Hz or better), a good many KVMs can make a bit of a pigs breakfast out of the screen display (i.e. loss of clarity, ringing on edges etc), often simply due to the poor VGA leads bundled with them. Budget for a good set of screened XVGA leads as well and you often get dramatically better results.

One other funny I have found with my one (Belkin E series), is when running Suse Linux on one system and Windows XP on another, you would get berserk mouse mode on switching to Linux from XP (OK from Win2K). This can be fixed by hot keying to a text TTY screen and then back into the X desktop.

Reply to
John Rumm

Belkin do a nice one that is good quality and is 'hot-key' switchable, it has 2 built in hard wired connections. I have one at work as i run linux and windows boxes. The only downside is that the picture quality suffers ever so slightly due to (i think) longer cable runs and more plugs in the way of the vga cable, or really badly if you opt for either very cheap or very long (>2m) cables.

have bought a stack of bits from ebuyer over the years and have never had a problem. The stuff is so cheap that i can handle their sometimes flaky delivery or the odd faulty 50 pence mouse!!

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:11:59 +0000, John Rumm strung together this:

I think it is running as a system service on all machines but I can only login locally, which is annoying when you're the other end of the house and have to reboot.

Yep, just checked, it's set as a system service.

Reply to
Lurch

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in news:kq9Ld.174$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net:

Bloomin' excellent device!

Got a cheap Belkin KVM - works fine. But in these days of USB, you might want to consider whether you want a purely PS/2 based KVM. Or (with DVI around) an analogue link for video? Also, consider whether you want sound to switch between PCs.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

'ck me! How have I ever lived without that? I've been titting about swapping HDs to get muppets data back for them for years.

Off shopping with the bosses money tomorrow!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

realVNC runs as a service. I can log into my XP machine using it.

Reply to
Huge

If does (or can) run as a service on W2K and WinXP with nobody logged in, I know win98/98/ME have a much reduced idea of what a "service" is so perhaps it will only start afer login on those operating systems, upgrade ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

vnc can send c-a-d to login/reboot, tranfer files, view between combinations of windows/pda/mac/linux/psion and more ...

i.e. more things than a windows specific product ;-)

Reply to
Andy Burns