Bit of a con, really ... ?

It'll certainly tell you if you're using the wrong WB setting, but it's no substitute for checking the RAW image on a calibrated CRT.

Reply to
Bob Larter

Yes, that's what I do. It's especially important for my photography, because I usually shoot under weird lighting, so it's impossible to set an appropriate WB at the time.

Reply to
Bob Larter

Most of the time, (on my Canons, at least) the automatic WB is good enough for a casual observer. However, I find it unacceptable for printing.

Reply to
Bob Larter

Yep, & the high end Canons can do that as well.

I bet that shuts them up! ;^)

Reply to
Bob Larter

And how would you suggest that someone gets around that problem? It's not always practical to shoot a white card & create a custom WB at the time. (And in my case, I can't do it because the light's changing too fast to get a useful WB from a white card anyway.)

Reply to
Bob Larter

You'd have to remove the IR filter & shoot with an IR strobe, but yes, it could be done. ;^)

Reply to
Bob Larter

I rarely do studio shoots, so Live View is pretty much useless to me. And this is despite the fact I often shoot wide-open at F1.4.

Reply to
Bob Larter

The 5DII is a pretty nice camera. It's only major drawbacks are that it's not as rugged or as fast to focus as the 1xx series Pro cameras. It's really big plus is that it has a full-frame sensor, so you can make the most of your wide-angle lenses.

Reply to
Bob Larter

Ayup. I find it easier to just rely on my experience, & just take the shot. Most of the time, the DOF works out the way I want it to.

Reply to
Bob Larter

The EOS 5DII is a full-frame digital SLR.

Reply to
Bob Larter

And a pentaprism, presumably. ;^)

Reply to
Bob Larter

Yes, they do.

No, you can't. What they're good for is to check the histogram to make sure that you haven't blown out any of the colour channels, to check the composition, & to make sure that the subject didn't blink at the wrong time.

Reply to
Bob Larter

I do lots of nightclub photography, & it's great to be able to show the subject the shot right after you've taken it.

Reply to
Bob Larter

Yes, BUT WHAT IF YOU NEED AN IMMEDIATE IMAGE AND CAN'T PROCESS THE RAW DATA!!!!!!

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I hope not.

That would be technically possible these days, but shooting in RAW mode, there wouldn't be much use for it.

Reply to
Bob Larter

bang... bang... bang... bang... bang... [sound of William Sommerwerck banging his head against a concrete wall]

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Is deliberately misreading and misunderstanding what people post your principal hobby?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I'll give it some consideration.

There.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

There would be, if you were shooting film. (See above.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

You cry in the corner ...

Reply to