Bio washing powder. how hot before you kill it?

We’ve been experimenting with low temperature washes and have discovered that one of the limiting factors is that the powder just doesn’t dissolve at low temperatures.

I could just buy liquid washing detergent but that goes against the grain and it was suggested elsewhere just to dissolve the powder in some warm/hot water first.

A trial with warm water really wasn’t very successful so it would seem hotter water is required. Is there a temperature at which the enzymes are denatured? I presume there must be but does anyone know?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

About 50 degrees:

Jeff Gaines

What is wrong with a liquid detergent? The own brand lidl one used in this household is OK in a cold water wash and advertised on the pack down to 15C. It is also at least 50% cheaper than the equivalent well known brands.

If thinking of a hotter wash then consider many(all) machines start with a cold wash and then heat up the water. Starting with a hotter wash may "set" some stains.

If you are watering down the detergent before applying it to the detergent dispenser also watch out for the machine pumping out before starting every wash cycle. If you are using a dispensing ball etc. this may not be a problem.

Reply to
alan_m

Sounds like you're using the wrong powder, Try aldi, never had it fail to dissolve cold.

Reply to
Animal

On 28/10/2023 18:08, Tim+ wrote: <snip>

:-)

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Careful. Not all creepy crawlies are killed with lower temp washes I seem to remember a study that as the number of people cold washing increased so did the incidences of fleas, lice, scabies, bed bugs etc.

Reply to
soup

If you have any of those washing your bed sheets etc. will not cure your problem irrespective of how hot the wash. You still need to cure the problem at the mattress level.

For other problems the temperature (alone) required for a kill may not be too good for the clothes themselves. Again fleas also tend to live in soft furnishing and carpets and then jump up to bite humans.

Reply to
alan_m

Yeah. That's why it was couched in such wishy washy language (careful , I seem to remember etc) . I am not providing any absolutes merely stating that I remember someone else claiming a direct causality between washing temperature and beastie numbers.

Reply to
soup

Why? Which grain?

Reply to
Davey

In message <ui9bp6$1v0p$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Davey snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid writes

I wonder how many more of these old sayings are being made obsolete by powered hand tools.

Reply to
Tim Lamb