Big Clive dissects a crappy 13A dounble socket with USB ports

Mike Tomlinson

The plastic back box looked to be thermoplastic not thermoset too.

I really would expect better for my 99p including free postage :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

2m04s "Never seen a socket with two earth terminals?" - I don't believe him. 2m23s Yes that is me trying to plug in a USB plug.
Reply to
ARW

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

I wonder if he knows about high integrity earthing. Are the two terminals connected together on those kind of sockets? I can't remember.

That socket is absolute s**te though. It's got a nice smart cover on the back to hide the shiteness inside.

:-)

or

Mike Tomlinson

Yes - they are connected together at the socket

That's me!

Reply to
ARW

And I thought it was only me!

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I thought the point was that they werent connected unless using with a meta l box, and even then it might not make a good earth connection.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I've seen sockets with two earth points, but electrically they have all been connected. You just use the best placed one. I've never seen one with one terminal *per socket* meaning that both *must* be hard wired for a proper earth connection.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

I thought so, thank you.

In the video (or maybe the comments) I think there is a suggestion that if the two earth terminals on the crappy socket were used in an "in and out" fashion (incoming earth connected to one terminal, outgoing to the other) there would be no earth continuity with a plastic back box. Even with a metal one, the earth continuity would be iffy.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed - that's because they don't exist, barring the crap coming out of China like Clive found.

We were taught on a ring main to put one earth into each terminal, that way if a terminal fails, you still have a CPC to the socket faces, but of course no loop continuity around the ring.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We don't even need to justify it - the unit Clive had is a big fat fail against any British Standard.

Apart from breaking the ring CPC continuity, or having one socket unearthed depending on how it's wired - what are you supposed to do if it's on a spur - put a link wire in?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Probably just me, but I've never understood the principle behind having two earth terminals. I'd say it doubles the chances of one not being properly tightened.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's quite useful to run a link to the back box when a spur has filled up the first one.

Reply to
charles

BS 1363 part 2 is the relevant BS for sockets.

10.2 says "all accessible metal parts shall be in effective contact with the earthing socket contact"

I would consider the socket Big Clive dismantled to be a failure of BS

1363-2
Reply to
ARW

That's not quite it, because on this socket there's a front fascia piece of plastic to cover the screws, so they aren't actually accessible. The issue isn't that the screws aren't earthed, it's that one or other socket earth pin isn't earthed if only one earth terminal is used.

I'm sure not earthing a socket pin must violate BS1363-2 /somehow/...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I'd say there is a higher change of all being tightened and one working loose later (not unheard of) or the wire breaking off (had that once) after replacing.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yup. Pretty odd.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

We need a Clive on speed, one that presents the points in 40 seconds not 15 minutes!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribió:

:) I quite enjoy the relaxed pace of his videos. Judging by the number of hits they get, he's doing something right.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

twin but not connected to each other!

Reply to