Best vacuum cleaner for DIY?

Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner for DIY work which doesn't need it's filters cleaning all the time or just burns out.
I've bought a few bag and bagless ones but when sucking up plaster, brick and wood dust they all block up in no time and then cleaning their so-called washable filters does little except to set harden the crap onto it.
Just looking for a decent, reliable vacuum cleaner under 100 with a decent capacity. Is this possible?
On 17 May 2007 05:58:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

henry. Worked so far. Builder bloke had one but his missis nicked it for the house so he had to buy another.
--
http://wwww.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk

I bought an Aquavac at least twenty years ago, and am delighted with it. Sucks and blows, wet or dry, large and small diameter pipes/fittings, so will cope with anything from a flooded kitchen floor (washing machine!) to large wood shavings. I have a Post Office in NE Scotland and, after heavy snow, the office floor and carpet are swimming. The Aquavac copes wonderfully. Bought mine from Argos, but they do not seem to stock them, now.
--
Graeme

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I haven't had any problems with one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id#140&ts 237
It has so far coped with cleaning up the lime plaster stripping in a room, and all the woodworking/router dust extraction I have done since I brought it, only had it since the beginning of the year though.
Cod Roe wrote:

Ditto - quite a nice, tough vac. We've used it for all sorts of dusty stuff, and so far so good.
--
Grunff
Diamagnetic levitation:
Grunff wrote:

Thritto - survived over a year of brutality, unscathed.

I agree, fantatsic vacuum for DIY.. Also available as Wickes own brand. Worth buying the wet/dry fillter so no messing with bags and also brush attachement as well. If I was doing it again I would buy the more expensive Earlex model that has a 13A socket on it that automatically turns the vacuum on when you turn your power tool on. http://www.earlex.co.uk/html/wd_html/wd1200p.htm
Ian_m wrote:

Yes I've got the Wickes one - it's OK but not a patch on the Henry which is at home for domestic use only! But it's way cheaper than Henry too (I think the Wickes version may be cheaper than Screwfix?)
My major gripe with it may sound silly but it's a real one: for some bizarre reason they omitted any form of carrying handle! To lift with one hand (the other one is holding the toolbox), you have to grip it under the lip of the lid, whereupon it tips of course - and all the tools (neatly mounted on pegs on the top) all fall off.
One day I'm going to dismantle it and fit my own handle which I'm sure won't be hard, but I've a few million other tuits to round before that one.
David
On Thu, 17 May 2007 17:54:38 GMT, Lobster wrote:

The one with the power socket has a handle.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I've had one of those for several years, only problem has been the noise (though I wear ear protectors with power tools) then someone on here recommended getting the wide bore hose kit and connecting it to the outlet as a baffle. This cuts the noise appreciably. When using the wide bore hose I put the small bore on the outlet instead. I have connected sanders, saws, routers etc to it with no problems. The wide bore hose fits the outlet of the Trend Mk2 router table. Starts up with the tool and runs on after you switch the tool off to clear the hose. When trenching with the router I retract the bit, switch off and run the router over the rebate etc again to take out the remaining dust.
Another advantage, it acts as an extension cord for your power tool. I have just power sanded our walls prior to painting and there was much less dust around than when I went over places by hand.
If it broke I would go out and buy another immediately. Can't say better than that.
Peter
www.the-brights.net

I've had one for over 6 years, buy a spare filter (5) and change often, wash it and let it dry, hence the need for two! That way the filters last for years.
Also available are large diameter hoses, see
<http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Tools_Power_Index/Wet_and_Dry_Vaccum_Cleaners/index.html
Peter

Okay, ta all. I was going to get a Henry. Seems the Earlex is well rated but it looks identical to one I bought under a different brand, all the filters look the same too. Except mine blocked up with plaster and wood dust and the motor overheated. I suppose I could always return it if it screws up. Cheers!
On 18 May, 20:12, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I get good results with a cyclone - would avoid diesoons though. Makes a huge difference when doing dust creating work. One room I did without it, place a mess, everywhere covered with dust. Another room had it taped to the tool, most of the room didnt need any cleaning at all.
NT
     snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes:

Yes, I've also found that a cyclone is the only thing that works for a number of tools which produce copious fine dust. It's quite obvious really -- you need something that doesn't store the trapped dust in the main airflow or it will either quickly stop filtering, or it's not trapping the dust in the first place. I use a Dyson, and knowing they're fragile, I'm very careful not to knock it around, and it's been doing a fine job for about 7 years now as a workshop tool, often coupled up directly to power tools.
It is unfortunate that no one produces portable workshop cyclones. The reason for this is Dyson owns all the patents on making small cyclones work, and either he has to licence them to someone to build workshop versions, or he has to do it himself, neither of which seem to have happened. I suspect the market is too small to fund even a fraction of the development work which Dyson does from his domestic sales. There used to be a ruggedised DC04 (looks identical, but is made from a different plastic), but it cost a fortune.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 19 May, 11:19, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Some people have made their own, I dont know how good the performance is. Doesnt look like a difficult project though.
NT
On 19 May 2007 04:32:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com mused:

Quick Google and
Think I might go and start experimenting, there's a spare wheelie bin round here somewhere......
--
Regards,
Stuart.
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Its not:
http://www.internode.co.uk/cyclone /
It catches most stuff, but not having the tight taper to the cyclone does not achieve enough acceleration of the airflow to spin out the finest stuff. Having said that I use an old vax to suck through it with a conventional paper bag in it. The cyclone catches enough fine stuff that the paper bag does not need changing that often.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sun, 20 May 2007 15:45:29 +0100, John Rumm

I've just built a proof of concept, hence all the tape holding this one together. ;)
<http://profile.imageshack.us/user/l488643/images/detail/#527/diycyclone1sr9.jpg (Due to the unique way in which Imageshack works, you start at the end and work backwards)
Quick tests seem to work, the vacuum cleaner was emptied and various dusts\chippings etc... were cleaned up and all of them ended up in the bucket. If I manage to regain some space in the garage for some tools then I'll be building a larger one. This would be worth experimenting with a bit more I believe.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
On 2007-05-19 11:19:13 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) said:

Actually they do....
http://www.dustdeputy.com /

I don't see anything portable. It's very easy to make a large cyclone and they've been understood for decades. Making a small cyclone (i.e. portable) which works is where Dyson excels, and due to his patents on his related invensions, no one else can do so unless they could find completely different ways of achieving the same ends.
--
Andrew Gabriel