Bending metal

Magic?

Or use Unobtanium,. the rare elemnent that has an infinite yield stress and Young's modulus?

I dunno. Would you?

Meanwhile , in the real world, WTF are you trying to do that needs absolute rigidity and infinite strength?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

oil is the prefered way to get the carbon.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bent in a press 'always'

about 10 tons will do that adequately.

You can just about do a strip of 1/8" in a vice with a block and a mallet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That would be pretty trivial in a fly press - without even giving it much swing. Its not going to need 10 tons!

Indeed - or possibly with a couple of decent pairs of grips.

Reply to
John Rumm

The term "light" is obviously a relative one. Just grab a piece of the flat and see how much force it takes to bend it. If the effort is much less than the load you plan to put on it, no problems. If you are thinking about a gradual sagging (creep), don't worry. As long as you stay within the elastic limit the bracket will bend a bit then stay put. Just don't go into the plastic range.

In any case, it's easy enough to fabricate a much stronger triangulated bracket.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

Rough and simple - for shelving, etc. Heat to dull red, bend and let cool down. If for a shelf bracket, use a brace, if for just a small positional bracket for a switch, etc, no brace needed.

You'll be lucky to get it hot enough with a propane-only torch.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You don't have the intellect to lose anyone. Why don't you go back to being drivel for a while, people miss him.

Reply to
dennis

It is in the application the OP posted about.

But you would probably have some panels attached giving a lot more leverage and make it much easier.

Reply to
dennis

I would expect it to have some effect on the metal's crystal structure, so it will have some effect, maybe not a significant effect, it depends on the length of time, temp, metal, atmosphere, etc. Its not going to make a better hook for TMH's lifting frame if he is starting with mild steel.

Reply to
dennis

Dead easy, if you stack a few firebricks around it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No, oil is one of the least effective (short of pure carbon) ways to get the carbon.

You can't case-harden or carburize with carbon, because carbon's a solid up to some enormous temperature and so it won't move from the bath to the metal. As for pretty much any steelmaking process, the elemental carbon is transported around as the conveniently portable and reactive gas, carbon monoxide. There are also industrial liquid processes using cyanides, as these are denser than gases and more controllable.

You make carbon monoxide in bulk from coke, or more conveniently for case hardening from carbon dioxide and an activator (usually barium salts) that strips some oxygen from this to make the monoxide. As is well-known, "hoof and horn" (or Kasenit) is the usual supplier of this. However as oil is a hydrocarbon, it won't do this - at case- hardening temperatures, bulk oil in the absence of oxygen is pretty stable. That's why it's used as a quench (deliberately non-reactive), but not for case hardening.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Could you bend it to say 95 deg., then allow the load to bring it to 90 deg?

mark

Reply to
mark

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley saying something like:

I meant to write 'butane'. Doh.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

> They pretty much stay in shape under light loads. Are they just bent? >

They are not meant for a load such as a shelf,they are to tie two things together at right angles.(hard to explain)

Reply to
F Murtz

You would need to avoid the vice jaw putting in a sharp corner in the bend that could produce a stress fracture point. Put a piece of round bar in the vice, as high as possible in the jaw on the side you are going to bend towards. Diameter = thickness times 2 minimum.

Dave

Reply to
dave

Sorry, I was forgetting why we case harden mild steel.

Dave

Reply to
dave

Unbeliever used his keyboard to write :

We all learn by asking questions and exchanging knowledge. None of us can be experts in all things.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Even with butane (even with a paraffin torch). A few firebricks is easily worth a doubling of torch power, and cheaper to run too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The OP has not so far said what was the 'application' he had in mind but has only provided a link to the corner braces I am describing in my post.

And how would you make a box without panels? If corner braces did not brace there would be no corner braces for sale.

Spamlet

By using 1" x 1/4" unless available space prevents you doing so. Take a piece of off-the-shelf L-angle, saw/grind, drill, fit, done.

What is the application?

I would not try a metalwork solution unless you have sufficient tools, which might just be a vice & soft faced mallet. Using L-angle is a very quick route and it is widely used for construction, repairs & industry (bridges to pylons).

Reply to
js.b1