Bending metal

In message , "dennis@home" writes

So I lost you there, then

The post went way over your head

Reply to
geoff

The irony is that unbeliever criticises TMH for not having a encyclopaedic knowledge of every conceivable topic that handyman may be called on to tackle, and more laughable still, for daring to ask questions before tackeling jobs where he has uncertainties. Yet when he used to attempt to contribute to the group (back in 2008 sometime before getting all bitter and twisted and preferring to snipe from the sidelines) I don't seem to recall him having much of use to say on heating, plumbing, electrics, or any of the other broad range of topics that come up fro discussion here.

What is it they say? if you sling mud, you just lose ground...

Reply to
John Rumm

What exactly are you arguing about? All the above is obvious and doesn't change what I said.

Reply to
dennis

Trust me: sugar does the job well. In the days before cheap Chinese masonry drills, I used iron water pipe to make holes in brick walls, by dunking in sugar at red heat after cutting a few rough teeth in the end. This was a dodge shown to me by someone's dad who was no doubt also shown it by someone else's dad before him... I still have a pot in the garage: and it's beginning to get a bit mucky.

But we're getting OT

Spamlet

Thanks, I shall try that. I needed to make an inverse drill, to trim the outside of a rough brass casting so that I could put a thread on it. I made a steel tube and cut some teeth on it and put it in the drill press. It worked OK but next time I will harden the teeth. The casting would not fit in the lathe or I would have used that of course.

Reply to
Matty F