Beginners tips for plastic plumbing

Richard Cranium here is at it again. He would leave burred edges on the inside of drain pipe. Can you image? They must have let them stay up late to watch the world cup.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thank you.

Flags: Note the white band at the top.

Flags.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Flags: Note the red band at the bottom:

Flags.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I bought this one from Screwfix and unless there is a knack to it then I am not impressed .It is difficult to get the ratchet to enagage without fiddling around with the tool.

?id=61583&ts=69052

Reply to
Stuart

Aww look wickle Drivel still thinks that failing to quote a post somehow erases it. Bless.

Reply to
Steve Firth

?id=61583&ts=69052Made by Monument as well. That is crap. I know a few who have sent them back.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm only too happy to portray your drivelling stupidity to the world.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Sad, very.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Flags: Notice the yellow vand at the top of this flag:

Flags.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Flags: Note the white band at the top.

Flags.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Flags: Note the red band at the bottom:

Flags

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh, *I* wouldn't. I do things properly. Just giving advice for bodgers such as you who don't invest in the proper tools or have basic skills. My joints never leak no matter what type of pipe I use.

Why would anyone want to look at a container?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Richard, you can't do things properly. That is a known fact.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But the world knows you cut plastic pipe with a hacksaw and the joint leaked. Only someone with no skills would do this and ponder why...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It must be cocoa time for him by now.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

> But they have o-rings on them! What's that all about?

When joining spedfit to compression fittings. use same brand pipe insert. No need to tighten fitting as much as for copper to copper, just a half a turn beyond hand tightening...worked for me.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Mine was part number MS137

problem. OK with 15mm, no chance on 40mm solvent weld.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've done a search and found that, although there are one or two posters who are vehemently against push-fit ("It's crap", "It always fails") they don't come across to me as "hard nosed professionals" but more like teenage boys. Their frequency of posting also suggests they don't have a full-time job as well as perhaps giving the impression that more people dislike push-fit than like it (In one thread titled "push-fit" one third of all posts came from a single individual called "marc_again", the other 13 posters seemed to think push-fit was not a particular problem)

On the whole, that forum does nothing to dissuade me from the opinion that I expressed above, most people think plastic pipework, including push-fit, is not perfect but pretty much OK,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

As a novice I used push fit recently and found it OK.

Reply to
Saxman

?id=61583&ts=69052There may be a knack.

I only have a cheap (£4.50 IIRC) no-name cutter but it cuts 15mm plastic pipe fine (not tried it on larger). However, I did find that cutting with a slight rotation around the pipe, rather than just squeezing it made it

A) significantly less effort, and

B) eliminated a tendency to squash the pipe.

I haven't tried the more expensive varieties but looking at their pictures I expect this technique may still be advantageous.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to