Please ID my plastic plumbing!

So I posted a while ago for advice on fitting a new shower to my existing plastic pipework - the advice was that I need to use inserts from the same manufacturer as the pipe. Since then I've exposed the pipework a bit, but am not clear what manufacturer it is. Can anyone advise?

Here's the existing setup:

From a bit of googling, does that look like a JG/speedfit connector?

Anyway, the length of pipe that I can see has the following lettering printed on it: POLSKA INSTAL AT/98-01-047

That obviously implies a Poland link... all Google throws up are the following: (5th post down), where some bloke also has piping with this on; but no other info and: (see Figure 4) which seems to suggest POLSKA INSTAL is a Polish standards agency.

Hmm. What the hell is this stuff?

I'm a plastic-plumbing-newbie, and anxious not to give myself problems by using the wrong inserts - is there any mileage in trying to cannibalise the old fittings and reusing the old inserts? Or is that like recycling old olives...?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Not really... The knurling pattern is different and you cant see the base beneath the rotating bit.

I would be inclined to get some speedfit inserts, stuff em up the end of the pipe, and if they seem like a snug fit, they ought to work just fine.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, looks more like an older style Hep20 fitting

Reply to
chris French

In message , chris French writes

For comparison, here is a pic of a couple of old fittings I have.

Both are demountable fittings. One on the right is an older fitting - the type with the metal grab ring around 12-13 years old probably. The one on the left is a bit newer (but still at least 6-7 years sinc eI don't think I've bought any since moving home) - with a white plastic and metal grab ring (BiteTite?)

If it is hepworths their name is written on the end face of the knurled ring - facing down on the OP's picture.

The ring unscrews on mine - does yours David? what are the internals like.

Reply to
chris French

It certainly looks like the Hep fittings that I have in my shed.

And David, I probably still have some inserts as well if you want a few.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

This is original Hep2o, I am almost certain. You can get a green plastic widget for 25p to undo them. The inserts are stainless steel, but they always look black when you remove them from old pipe. BES stock the right ones

page 183 (both inserts and tool).

The purpose of the insert is to make sure that the pipe is dead straight and round when it enters a pushfit fitting, or to support it if an olive is used in a compression fitting. I have used other manufacturers inserts without too much hassle before, especially the Speedfit ones with the o-rings on them - they seem to make a good seal inside the pipe.

TheOldFellow

Thanks very much Adam - may get back to you if I can't source them!

David

Reply to
Lobster