Beginners tips for plastic plumbing

Indeed, if you look at

after they say "Cut the Hep2O pipe with the recommended cutters" (page 34)

They say apply PTFE if required for lubrication.

Reply to
John Rumm

I posted here for advice because I freely admit to having no knowledge beyond copper / solder /compression. That is the precise reason for posting.

But I sought advice on a specific topic. My subjet line does NOT say: "Vent your opinions about plastic pipe and push-fit fittings: answer in less than 1000 words"

I am NOT ( re-read that, please ) using push-fit fittings on this project. I am simply re-connecting to some existing plastic pipework.

I REPEAT ( for the hard of hearing, or hard of thinking ):

I want to know how to select the correct inserts to use with plastic pipe for COMPRESSION fittings.

I raised this point because there seem to be different types of insert, and I wanted to know how to choose the correct one: was it based on pipe type, fitting type, both, or neither.

That question has been answered by others, thank you.

As regards attittude, I'm sorry, but I can't see what you're talking about. I'm sorry if I've offended you. I really don't see what I have done to offend you.

Please re-read my posts, and turn the aggression down a notch or two.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

IME for waste pipe a hand saw is *much* better, use a mitre box if worried about squareness. Give it a try on an offcut...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

You mean like wrapping olives in ptfe tape?

Reply to
Guy King

Chav, what cutters do they recommend? Someone is after a pair on this thread.

Got it. Nice Chav. Marley say the same.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Now you are telling the likes of me what to do. Tell the uk.d-i-y Lunatic Association by all means.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Is this some kind of bot pretending to be Dr Driven or is it the real McCoy?

Reply to
Guy King

That is what the plastic makers say. I'm sure if the uk.d-i-y Lunatic Association suggest that. They would suggest hitting it with a hammer.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well, far be it from me to defend Drivel ( phd ); I must confess to sometimes loosing my cool with old compression fittings and resorting to a few wraps of PTFE tape on the olive.

New fittings and olives always seem to work first time, but re-used fittings and nuts ( cleaned up as much as is possible) can be a pain.

As can be using a new fitting ( like a gate valve ) in between 2 pipe ends with old olives which you want to re-use, rather than cut back, and have to extend the pipework to make good the missing length.

You know, you start off with the mantra: " don't over tighten it. Just a wee nip up is enough." Then it needs a bit more. Then a bit more. And still there's a weep. And so you end up raxing the thing up with all your might, and still it weeps.

Then it's time to screw the textbook and use some PTFE tape on the bloody olive.

Yes, I know it's not strictly best practice, but sometimes needs must...

Reply to
Ron Lowe

For the audience, would you please point out ***exactly*** where I have "told the likes of you what to do". ( tempting as it may be. )

A quote from any of my posts will be fine.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

He probably thinks you're Andy. He seems to have something of a blind spot there, which is why he keeps calling him Matt.

Don't worry about Dr Drivel, where plastic pipework is concerned the situation is basically :-

Dr Drivel + his imaginary friends - thinks plastic pipework is no good, based, it appears, on one incident when he didn't follow the manufacturers instructions and got a failure (google for drivel and hacksaw if you're interested)

and

The rest of the world - thinks plastic pipework is pretty much OK

Happy plumbing,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

I've read all about the history :-) I have no problems with someone having a counter argument, or alternative point of view. That's what I expect in newsgroups.

I simply objected to:

1) Being told:

"you should ignore what I said and fit pushfit and have leaks. Be my guest."

when I have said I want to use COMPRESSION fittings, not pushfit;

and:

2) Being accused of:

"telling the likes of me what to do"

when I have never told *anyone* what to do.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I'd use 'Cuprofit' ones as they're made of copper and should withstand any crushing force from the olive better.

Also use a copper olive so less force is needed to get a seal between olive and fitting.

Should be well worth doing a couple of sample joints to see how much the pipe is cut into by the olive, if too much it might rupture and come out of the fitting.

Finally I'd use some 'Fernox LS=X' or similar on the olive as a belt and braces measure.

Worth looking at the forum on Screwfix as this has been discussed and a lot of tradespeople are there.

All IMHO,

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

You are a stupid amateur k*****ad. The pushfit fitting failed k*****ad!

It is except the pushfit fittings. Please use pushfit fittings Please do.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's Drivel. He's a serial fantasist. He has no life, he's the snake oil salesman's dream because he believes any old crap that he reads in brochures. He's also incompetent, pretends to know something anything, about plumbing then spends ages sticking his foot in it proving that he knows squat.

Best ignored apart from the pleasure of taking the piss out of him.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, he hangs around the docks and blows sailors for a fiver.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's stupid, irrelevant and unable to cope with being a loser. It's Drivel.

Reply to
Steve Firth

With solvent weld you can cut it with near anything since the solvent will dissolve any raggedness round the cut. Not so with push fit as dribble found out because it's all too easy to damage the O ring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The rest of the world does not think that at all. Look at the Screwfix plumbers forum. The consensus there by the hard nosed professionals is that push-fit is big trouble. Many there say only use compression joints with olives on plastic pipe after bitter experience of leaks. Most rural based plumbers avoid it because of rodents eating it in lofts. There are many horror stories on that forum if you do a search.

I used to use push-fit fittings, now I use compression after reading the stories over there, and some on this group. I have used push-fit and have had the odd leak which was fixed quickly with no damage. Initially many years ago when I started up, I used a hacksaw with the plastic pipe in a mitre block and finished with a file and Stanley knife, using grease on the pipe before pushing on. I never had a leak, only when I used a pipe cutter did I have a leak and I think the problem was the fittings, or O rings, rather than the cut. I noticed most cutters leave a small nick anyway and I always filed that off. That doesn't matter now as I use olive compression joints.

I use compression joints on plastic pipe as I don't want ceilings coming down, or leaks of any sort, as that would set me back big time after I am finished. I gather plumbers don't want comebacks, so go for reliable methods, which is the sensible way in business. Apart from threading pipe in confined spaces getting me out of trouble, generally, I don't find plastic pipe quicker to install. Plumbers are not anti plastic pipes as they use them on drains.

Reply to
timegoesby

Flags: Note the white bar on this flag.

Flags.