Battery cable size for electric start ride on mower?

Ancient Laser mower wiring is getting rough, Kohler twin. Current wire OD including insulation is 5.5 mm and looks a bit thin to me.

Would this 60 Amp 8.5 mm^2 be about right, do you think?

newshound

18&rt=nc

why not measure it? Then you'll know.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I did measure it. I am not sure if what I have got is original.

Reply to
newshound

ND/351016022389?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3

D1%26asc%3D30989%26meid%3Da67854d699d14b95903dc7fbdd547193%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26

sd%3D360875030018&rt=nc

If the thing has worked OK with the 5.5mm cable 8.5mm will be more than adequate. Common sense.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If its thicker than the original surely you cannot go wrong, assuming it can be used in whatever the connectors in use are. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I assumeit's for the starter motor.

As the wire is only in use for a few seconds, normal current ratings don't apply. (ie it won't have time to overheat)

The other important factor is the length of the wire as volt drop is significant.

Reply to
harryagain

30018&rt=nc

According to your post you did not measure the diameter of the conductor, a nd did not thus calculate its xsa.

Reply to
tabbypurr

BUT I AM NOT SURE IF WHAT I HAD IS ORIGINAL

Reply to
newshound

Thanks. Well it sort of worked but not that well, which is why I'm overhauling it. I was hoping someone might say something like 10 gauge will be fine, or 8 gauge will be much better, or that someone might know the typical current draw, so that I can calculate the voltage drop for different gauges.

Reply to
newshound

5030018&rt=nc

r, and did not thus calculate its xsa.

ok, lets do the calcs you dont appear to have done. engine HP? Who knows, guess 5hp That's around 200cc A 1600 car engine takes 100-200A starting So for 200cc very rough guess /8 gives 12-25A

1mm2 drops 44mV per pair per meter per amp so would drop 25x44= 1.1v at 25A if 1m long, 0.55v if 0.5m 8mm2 would be fine, as would 6mm2 on 12v. If 6v electrics you'd have 2x the V drop on half the voltage etc

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

OK thanks, but there is a lot of guesswork there. As I said before, I was hoping someone might have some data.

Reply to
newshound

Why not measure the starting current or voltage drop during a cold start as take it from there.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yup. We can't measure it. Slow turnover problems are more likely down to other causes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Because it's broke at the moment: probably the switch failing to drive the solenoid. Hence the refurb!

Reply to
newshound