Universal wall socket

Son in law found these without USB in a twin wall socket whilst on holiday.

Anybody seen a UK offering?

Reply to
Capitol

I suspect not legally, as I doubt very much whether it would be possible to make such a socket which was also BS1363 compliant.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The one shown isn't, as it is only rated at 10 amps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

So it would need a fused radial circuit for it - or to be fed from a fused spur with a 10amp fuse. Swopping a 13 amp socket with its 30amp rated circuit would be dangerous unless it has an internal fuse.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You'll note also that it is capable of having a US plug put in it. Which might surprise any Septic who actually did so.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You mean when it turns their 110v hair dryer into a passable flame thrower?

Reply to
Graham.

F'rinstance.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Loads of those two pin devices are dual voltage now

Reply to
F Murtz

More detail here.

Capitol

That would be quite a trick on a device sold for 8 quid which claims to be

10 amp. And shares the same connectors for all types of plug.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I mean the things you plug in em.

Reply to
F Murtz

But thass a 3-pin socket. For UK plugs and US plugs, amongst others.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'd be surprised if they can do 10A. The 'contacts' are usually a couple of strips of brass, which have to make contact with all the various sorts of plug you might insert. They gradually lose their spring, so you get intermittent connections. Not only do you get into wiggle-until-it-makes-contact territory (something that really irritates me about two-pin US/EU plugs) they risk getting hot because the contact isn't good enough to deliver the current draw without signficant resistance. Also, many of these aren't shuttered.

I've used them on cheap Chinese-made power strips that seem to be flooding the developing world, and they're really terrible. Avoid.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

They're claiming CE approval FWIW!

Reply to
Capitol

I'd take a look at

the tests show they are somewhat lacking

Martin

Reply to
Martin Warby

CE as in Communité Européenne, or CE as in China Export? The marks are deliberately (On the Chinese end of it, anyway) very similar to the untutored eye.

John Williamson

That's a very good report. However, I suspect that many 13A fused adapters used with 13A sockets will also fail. I've seen laptop psus which fail to engage in some adapters because of a screen surround around the 2/3 pin US outlet and to use them you have to cut the screen off.

Reply to
Capitol

I thought that was a myth. Anyone can self-certify Communite Europeenne compliance, unless you're in a specific field when you need external certification from a Notified Body (Underwriters Labs, SGS, etc - eg for medical devices) when the Body's number is displayed underneath.

In some cases self-certification makes sense: toys without toxic paint or small/sharp parts don't exactly need a visit to a test lab.

But obviously there are many cases where self-certification is pushed too far...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos