Wall socket - stupid question

A stupid question regarding a wall socket. The box in question is for a TV/Radio coax plug, but that's not important. I can't get the screws to engage to put the faceplate back. The patress box in the wall has the nuts on two plastic contrivances, which slide in and out on a kind of ratchet. Very weird, as any patresses I've seen have the nuts moulded in in one place. Is there a knack to getting these nuts and bolts back together.

Reply to
John Hearns

Sounds like a dry lining box, I assume it's plastic then. Sometimes as you're pushing back the screws the lugs will slide back. A nice gentle approach is needed here. That is assuming that it is the plate you actually took off, or more precisely, the screws. If not the screws may simply be too short! ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

It is the oroginal plate and screws. I'm just puzzled that the bolts inside seem to slide backwards.

Reply to
John Hearns

That's for adjustable wall thicknesses. I take it's a stud wall you're working with there. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

That's a dry lining box. The lugs are attached to flat blades that project behind the plasterboard. As you tighten the screws, they're pulled foward and clamp the box to the plasterboard.

Assuming you're using the same screws you took out...pull the lugs forward as far as you can. The ratchet is meant to hold them there while you insert the screws but it doesn't always work too well...but once the screws are in it doesn't matter. If on the other hand this is a new fitting, you *might* need longer screws (perhaps from the fitting you're placeing, if you kept it).

So, the trick is...pull the lugs forward as far as you can, and gently insert the screws while trying not to push the screw receptacle back again!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks all for the explanation. It is indeed a plasterboard wal the box is in.

Reply to
John Hearns

If you're still struggling after following the advice here, try slightly longer screws. Generally the screws supplied with lightswitches and tv\phone points etc.. are shorter by a few mm than those supplied with sockets. This extra few mm makes all the difference!

..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

They should pull forwards and lock in place. If the skim is too thick, they won't.

Try winkling them way forward till they do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another trick is to put a piece of tape behind the lugs to stop them sliding back.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Some faceplate screws start with a little unthreaded tapered bit. These can really help get the screw into a loose or very deep receptacle. No, I don't know where to get them, I think they come with some makes of accessory. A gentle and patient approach should do the job, good luck...

Alex

Reply to
Alex Bird