battery barns

I was going to say something similar but you beat me to it. The equivalent hazard to battery storage is not, as Harry suggests, petrol in a tank, large or small, but storing the fuel for LPG vehicles as a compressed mixture of gas and air, or gas and oxygen.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I would say the major difference which includes LPG tanks is there a physical separation between the two elements, fuel and air/oxygen. In some instances there are some statutory requirements.

The saving grace for batteries is that cells are generally designed in such a way where if one lets go, it will have limited effect on surrounding cells. If you don't:

Fredxxx

Be interesting to know which EU 'law' forbids building nuclear power stations? Or is it just another Mail myth?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's why you need so many panels to cope with the reduced light and hours. He was saying I could get free electricity all night.

Reply to
dennis

Have you not noticed that the brexiteers are now starting to say that nothing they said would happen will now happen and blaming it on someone else like May, the greens, the Labour party or anyone else they can?

Reply to
dennis

snip

It's almost worth Brexit just so that politicians can be forced to stop blaming the EU for things that our government was a strong supporter of.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

But surely our MEPs voted against all such things in the EU parliament? And they were all imposed on us by the wicked EU? Or have I been reading that wrong too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well if you have PV and batteries, so you can. I did think about it myself but the prices are stupid.

Mind you, it would be a straightforward DIY project. Depending if you wanted to get 220Vac from the batteries.

12Vdc/220vac inverters are easliy available.

Or just have lighting and 12v LEDs.

Reply to
harry

There are more of them shit-fer-brains. We were always going to lose.

Reply to
harry

Yes, and I for one am not surprised (of course).

The whole Brexit thing should have been seen for what it was and is, just a big BS Circus.

And those buying into it (still blindly it seems) are no different than those buying into the whole Snake Oil, Magic Elixirs, the grass is greener - magic beans scams of now and the past. If they had even a shred of fact to back up their lapping it up hook, line and sinker then you would have thought they would have come up / out with it by now, but they haven't. All they have come out with is their best guess, hope and opinion of what *they think* will happen if we leave. How they can do that when we aren't in charge of most of the decisions regarding that process?

Now, I'm not and never have suggested that remaining is (as nothing has changed yet) the best choice, in spite of us previously doing 'pretty well' on the world stage etc but I'd still like to see anything like intelligent discussion / prediction on how leaving the EU *will* be better for us all, not just it might / could / should be? If they can't offer anything like that, WTF are we doing it in the first place?

The answer is of course is that we wouldn't be (and nearly weren't in any case), if a tiny majority of the great unwashed hadn't believed the Snake Oil sellers and realised that the promises were no more than that, or worse, deadly - poisonous lies and deceit. ;-(

One thing is for sure, the old saying of 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer still' applies very well to our relationship with the EU (even though they weren't enemies etc) and we, with others stood a better chance of making the system better from the inside when we at least had a say than the outside when we don't.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I'm probably also going to vote NOTA in the upcoming elections because:

I want the NOTA option to be officially accepted as a real vote, just as it is in many other countries. It is a vote to express what I believe is the actual opinion of many and that we think the whole thing is a bunch of BS.

I will vote NOTA because I realise *most* of what any of them are putting in their mandates have little chance of ever being adopted. Even if they are, anything that annoys a sufficiently great number of the great unwashed are likely to rebel and have such a decision overturned (as with the Poll Tax).

I will vote NOTA because like most of the population, I am totally unqualified to determine what would actually be 'best' for us, even if I heard / understood all they were all saying and believe a vote should only be used to vote for something politically tangible and realistic, not because they like Mr Corbins beard or Mrs Mays choice in dresses.

Part of the reason for this general disconnection (IMHO) is because the 'system' is now far too complex and 'ordinary people' are no longer able to keep up / fully understand all the nuisances and implications of *all* of the intertwined systems and international deals, markets and relationships, assuming they ever were etc.

It's similar to the comparison between growing a few tomatoes in a windows box where you just water and add a bit of plant food now and again and would be happy with what come comes out ... compared with running a massive tomato nursery where you are now reliant on systems outside your full control, like automated feed mixing, water supply / irrigation and / or heating fuel supply and harvesting manpower etc.

The only place yer basic citizen can cope with the politics is when the entire ecosystem can been seen and fully understood, like in a small remote village.

Reply to
T i m

I think they've stolen their photos from a trial by UK Power Networks that recently wrapped up. These are the results, which I haven't studied in detail:

(probably worth bearing in mind that the costs listed there are for the research project, not solely for hardware)

Batteries appear to be from Samsung SDI if my squinting at the photos is correct.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Quite, for those who can get involved in such scams (if that is what they are proven to be) and still sleep easy.

By all means provide your own power supply (wind, solar, exercise bike etc) and we will happily buy any energy you have spare at the going rate at the time. As with any commercial system, prices will fluctuate with supply and demand and I'm NOT willing to pay anyone for energy they produce but consume themselves or pay over the odds for it at times of low demand.

In the same way, if such 'alternative' energy schemes (and bogus, from a genuine global green energy 'solution' POV) are subsidised by others who weren't given the option, then we too should get some payback by charging them more for the electricity they take from the grid ... from systems that have to be there to support all of us when there is no sun or wind. The sums should balance out.

Few would argue with any system that was seen by all (rather than just those living off the back of others) to be 'fair' and realistic.

So, buy your own battery bank (as my cousin has), hook it up to your solar system (as my cousin has) and *save* (not earn from others) money in the future, when your total investment / payback calculations come to fruition (calculations my cousin hasn't done). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not so sure, the UKPN seems to be 12 batteries per rack

While the power barn uses 8 per rack with a mezzanine level, and perhaps not suitable for 6 footers

Think you're right there in both cases.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm sure harry's busy cornering the market.

I think all non-dispatchable power should be sold to the grid via an energy storage scheme such as this, so we don't end up paying subsidy for the wind/solar and then more subsidy for the storage, just market price at the time output is required ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm sure he is. ;-)

Yup, agreed.

The bottom line is if these schemes are just more BS scam that are too 'scientific' for the great unwashed to see though then you can see why most simply don't realise that and protest more.

It's just the same as their understanding of what might or might not be realistically achievable when promised it by the soothsayers /// politicians of today and the / my worry is there were / are *millions* of people who actually believed that £360M/ week was sent to the EU every week, when it has never *ever* been the case, let alone what the UK Government might do with it instead (if it wasn't going to the EU. And that much per week never has of course).

Whilst Nelly the tea lady might had a reasonable grip on how the company she works for could do better, the chances are she doesn't and that is effectively who we are taking our decision from.

A tiny majority (or those who actually voted) voted to leave and the chances are they were the ones who actually believed that what they were voting for (and it's still not clear exactly what that was etc)

*is* going to happen when the truth is the good chance is that it / they won't.

They won't because you can't have everything you want in life and especially when those things are only the will of a minority who don't have a real grasp of the bigger picture.

However, it seems from all those who follow X-Factor or Big Brother you don't have to be good or even talented to get a following these days and people will vote for all sorts of bizarre bollox! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

FWIW, my cousin has a stack of 4 of these:

And as his are on the floor, not good for 6's either! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My cousin has PV panels that were supplied and fitted to him free, he gets the electricity (free from the panels) but has bought 4 x battery himself (probably ~£4k).

I asked him how long he expected to take him before he saw any real savings and he didn't know. ;-(

I'm pretty sure he didn't know who paid the company supplying the 'Free' panels the FIT cash and think he might not have gone ahead with it all if he had.

Given his age and the fact he has no offspring to leave the house / PV system to I'm guessing he just has some spare cash to play with (and I can understand it (the battery part) for those reasons). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

There are those people as does things and those as sits on their arse. I see you are one of the latter.

Reply to
harry

Some people are just born brain dead. Seems to run in your family.

Reply to
harry

Ah, like get someone else to fit solar panels on their roof and then get other people to pay for the electricity you use from them yourself?

Sit on their arse with their hand our and beg off others like you do you mean?

You couldn't see something put in front of you ... other than a cash cow that is! ;-)

No harry, best if you don't try to go there again ... being in your Ivory Tower means you have a lot further to fall than I do here on the ground (with the majority of the non cash thieving) population.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m