battery barns

Anyone know anything about these new "battery barns" that the subsidy farming companies are trying to set up? The idea is to charge them from the grid at certain times and then release it back when needed. There's a planning application for one near our village. It's huge - about fifty metres long!

Reply to
Handsome Jack

Apart from fire risk, what problems do you foresee?

Reply to
GB

Just pray no one ever puts a short across it I would oppose it like the blazes on the grounds of safety and environmental issues

Find out its storage capacity and express that in tonnes of TNT and ask the council if they feel happy granting permission to such a hazard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's about solving the problems of intermittancy with renewable energy. Another German idea.

Might be these.

harry

There'll be more energy at your local petrol station. Or on the supermarket car park. Try to grow up.

Reply to
harry

harry

Any info in the PA about capacity, MWh, how long it'll supply the grid for, flat out, that sort of thing, bearing in mind that the UK consumes something in the region of 800-900GWh of electrical energy per day? I'm not suggesting this one will have anything like that capacity, it won't come remotely near it, but I'm passingly interested. The pumped storage facility at Dinorwig can supply approximately 1.7GW for six hours.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Is it going to be an unwelcome eyesore?

Reply to
pamela

Someone phoned me today to try and get me to fit a solar battery and panels. They decided to hang up when I asked them how many hundreds of panels I would need to charge the battery and supply all my electricity even in winter.

I think its about 10 sq meters per kwhr in winter and about 20% of that in summer. How many kwh do you get from your two 4kwp arrays in winter?

Reply to
dennis

No more than say 100 tonnes of TNT stored in as shed.

All googling reveals is PR and marketing lies.

It seems likely that a typical barn might be 10MW with a capacity of around 50MWh. Lithium batteries in racks. The ones that you are not allowed to take on planes because they catch fire.

At a guess lithium batteries at that scale would be around £500/Kwh, so this size of barn would represent £5m or so.

I reckon a Dinorwig would cost about a billion these days for 10GWh. Far cheaper and lasts longer.

Which is about the same energy as 43 tonnes of TNT. Which would be released if they got shorted. Internally. Accidentally.

But this is a guess and no one is actually quoting real numbers.

Of course they will sail through planning just like bird mincers and bat exploders do, and the only class of rotating industrial machinery apart from aircraft propellers that is allowed to be operated without a safety guard.

Sigh. The whole point of brexit was to ditch this renewable shit and build gas power stations and nukes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't get it, do you?

A battery has all the elements in close proximity in a cell, whereas petrol in a tank is isolated from the surrounding air.

Reply to
Fredxxx

50MWh is around 50,000 litres of petrol or diesel

The reason we use petrol and diesel is because they are a reasonable compromise between easy to get the energy out of and safe to store.

Batteries are not so safe to store.

They contain the means to self ignite

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What projected outlay is there for the tax payer? It sounds limited to infinity. What is the battery life expectancy? And how much does it cost to set up and run a nuclear power plant?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

How are they ging to get power into the system? If it was a worthwhile proposition why have the power companies invested in it? Such a thing would be cheaper than the Dinorwic Project was.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

no, its about 5 times as expensive.

its another green scam getting preferential treatment. there are some small hydro plants in Scotland that could be made reversible for far less.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Well you read that and are no wiser.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The problem is by night and when it's cloudy not because of Winter per se.

Reply to
harry

Harry put that link up earlier. I saw nothing about capacity (MWh), how long the individual batteries last before they need replacing, or cost, either installation cost or ongoing maintenance cost. It struck me as typical renewable energy spin: long on sales talk and hype, short on facts and detail.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I see they were too busy sprinkling the [TM] symbols, that they forgot to spell Barn properly by the second occurance!

Half a million quid over 25 years, worth buying a few acres of shitty horse-grazing land near a substation ...

Reply to
Andy Burns