battery barns

And some are born without a moral compass. ;-(

I guess 'Speculate to accumulate (off others)' is your family motto?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think I'm correct in saying that LiFePo4 batteries are less "exciting" to charge than other forms of Li batteries, which sounds a good thing when they get into the kW range (and in a house?)

But it seems a bit of a waste to have monitoring and charging circuitry in every module in the stack, rather than just one charge controller in the inverter and some form of charge-balancing in each module.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In garage in this case I think.

I think these Lithium batteries tend to be loads of smaller (capacity) cells wired in series parallel and then the bank of batteries also wired in parallel to for an even higher (current) capacity 'battery'. So maybe each stand-alone 'battery' has to have it's own BMS in the first place so ...?

When they first installed the battery it wasn't performing very well and it turns out (after a lot of fuss) they hadn't linked the monitoring circuitry (Ethernet cables I believe) between the first and other 3 modules, so he only had 25% storage capacity. (Doh)

So, he has 4 x 48V 'batteries' @ 50Ah in parallel giving 48V at ~200Ah but with a maximum draw (from the inverter) of about 3kW I think.

Just about ok for the electric kettle or (half) the electric oven but not the electric shower.

It will be interesting to see if he can run for a whole day on the battery alone and if he can (ignoring the electric shower etc), what percentage of the year he can do so.

If it was 365 days then (again), ignoring the electric shower and assuming some other form of heating, how long would the batteries last and if the cost of the electricity saved would ever completely cover the cost of the battery system?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

When I saw them, I assumed they were ethernet (with a two port switch in each battery!) but they are 'RJ45' cables used as a CAN bus

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's only 3 hours at 3kW, or, say, 400w average for 24 hours, or 9 units a day. And that's not allowing for inverter loss. Pretty marginal for the average household I would think.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Me too.

He was talking about adding a couple more battery modules but then he would have to have the PV (and sun) to match or he might as well buy his energy straight from the grid eh?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. It sounds very much like my mates retired BIL who sold an old but perfectly clean, low mileage and fully functional Jag he's had from new to buy another *brand new* lower MPG model Jag *because* of the low MPG ... but he only does 5 miles a week ... ;-(

Reply to
T i m

Poor Tim.

Nice, but dim.

Still in denial.

Everything he says is true...when applied to the EU and those that support it.

You can imagine T i m gasping in the water when someone throws him a lifebelt "I'm sorry, I cant take that because I simply haven't managed to evaluate exactly what its going to do, and I could be completely wrong"

That's how dinosaurs die.

Thinking they live in a risk free world that they ought to understand completely.

And suffering under the delusion that someone else actually does, because they say they do!

Bless!

If there is one thing I know a lot about its energy generation, and that was reason enough to leave the EU.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All we need to do is simply say that wind and solar compete on a level playing field. If they cant sign contracts to supply guranteed electricity, with penalty clauses when they don't, at a market rate then they shouldn't exist at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep, thats exactly the sort of people who vote for the Lib Dems and te EU.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope, never said that and it's classically disingenuous of you to suggest I did. But then with a total lack of anything factual, many turn to those sort of tricks.

For someone to be given a key say in something it might be a good idea that they had a slight clue eh. You are a good example of how what we currently have fails all of us (as you will go on to demonstrate).

Question. Should we leave or stay in the EU?

TNP. I don't know but it like walnuts ... what does the EU think about walnuts?

I certainly know you don't so that makes us the same eh. So, did you actually have a point?

Yup, reason enough for *you* ... so you blindly helped a tiny minority vote us out of a system on ONE isolated topic that could be completely irrelevant to the viability of UK PLC when compared to the 'bigger picture'.

Well done you (not).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Even if it's poisoning us?

Reply to
harry

Wind and solar aren't poisoning us it is poisoning people in the third world. I doubt that that concerns you being a right wing bigot.

Reply to
dennis

And the production of PV panels and wind turbines isn't?

So, you poison us when they are made, you poison us when they are installed, you poison us when they are maintained and you don't provide the energy reliably.

And I'm still not sure either *ever* return the energy used in their inception so why not save the energy used (wasted?) and use it directly and efficiently?

I appreciate you don't really care about any of that as long as you can keep milking us via your cash cow but when the revolution comes ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Drivel. It's the fossil fuels that poison us.

harry

Yes, we *know* that, but if you use a kg of coal directly (once extracted of course) you get the energy stored in 1 kg of coal.

How much coal will you *then* require to dig up say aluminium ore, smelt aluminium ore, forge aluminium ore, mould / machine / construct / transport / install and maintain a wind turbine, all producing pollution whist doing so, compared with using it directly? How efficient are all those extra stages?

Using up fossil fuels in a way where their energy will never be recouped seems something only you would think made sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for genuine and real-world / alternative sources of energy but I'll only sign up to them when they are there when I need them (not just when they are available).

I specifically *won't* sign up to a bogus policy that forces other energy users to help me line my pockets.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Of course, but that isn't a valid planning objection around here. They've already installed several acres of solar farms.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

It's not a valid planning objection anywhere.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And you poison us when you scrap them.

Reply to