Bathroom extractor fan performance

I would appreciate some opinions on a extractor fan I've fitted in a bathroom.

A Vent-Axia Eclipse 100X (93 m=B3/h or 26 l/s ) mounted in the ceiling underneath the shower area, venting through a wall with 40/50cm of duct. Imagine if you can the smallest bathroom where a shower in bath, WC and sink that's how big the room is, sort of just 2.1m high and 2.4 long and bath/sink width.

I decided to fit a fan etc, but have been very dissapointed with the performance - maybe I'm being unrealistic. With my shower moving an average 10-12 l/min of hot water the small space gets steam up very quckly. The fan is spinning etc and I can see the louvres on the outside flapping, but the bathroom still steams up. With my hand over the vent I can feel a gentle 'suck', and the fan will un-steam the room as time goes on.

What should I be expected, a totally steam free room? - gentle demisting?

thanks

p=2Es I have a gap under the door which should be adequate

Reply to
gna03633

The room volume appears to be 2.1 x 2.4 cu mtrs = 5.04 cu mtrs, so 93 should move all of it in 3.25 minutes. But those calibrations are against free air. Try opening the door a bit and see if this speeds it up. A gap under a door will almost certainly not be enough: 1m x 1cm = 0.001 sq mtrs.

If I'm right you probably need an extra air input to the room well away from the extractor.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

On 10 Nov 2006 06:27:23 -0800 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote this:-

Sounds like it's working reasonably well to me.

Would you like to be sucked through the grating as a powerful fan sucks all the steam out instantly? Would you like to heat the walls to prevent the steam condensing?

Reply to
David Hansen

Hi gna,

I've had the same problem in the past which has led to to conclude that

4" fans are a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing (well, not much anyway). I replaced the 4" one in my bathrooom with a 6" one (no ducting, it just goes straight though the wall). It's a Vent-Axia Silhouette 150XH Humidistat Fan.
difference between 4" and 6" is phenomenal in terms of the amount of air it shifts - this one does 280m=B3/hr, about three times what a 4" one will do. It actually seems to work.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. My conclusions are :

I think I need to let more fresh air from the rest of the flat into the bathroom, with the door just slightly ajar the performance it reasonable. I will get the jiggy the the bottom of the door.

My expectations were probably to high for the 100mm fan, I'll go bigger next time.

I do need to replace the flaps outside as I'm getting board of the noise its making in the wind.

thanks gna

Reply to
gna03633