Bathroom cupboards

Hi All

I've done a quick google through this group, but didn't find a suitable answer. So, here goes;

We're just about to start re-fitting our bathroom. It is 20 years old, and needs a complete install. Ideally we'd like to increase the storage (cupboard) space by fitting a semi-countertop (I think that's what it's called) basin, and a back-to-wall pan. Under the basin we'd like cupboards. We'd also like these on the walls too. My question is, what is the main difference between a £250 bathroom cupboard (this appears to be an average price), and a similarly sized kitchen cupboard which costs a fraction of this? From what I've seen, they're both made of some type of chipboard, both stand on legs with a plinth, but the bathroom ones are not as deep.

Thanks for any comments.

Reply to
Graeme

IME, none.

Reply to
Huge

I can't read the other reply.

I can only comment on what I think. All these cupboards are the same and vary only in their size and in the way they take a door or doors. You can easily cut the larger ones down with a good handsaw. A cheap electric one will cost around £20 to £30 and is an investment. A pair of clamps for less than a fiver a piece to take a straight edge and you have the job done in moments.

At £250 for a bathroom cupboard you can afford to buy two or three kitchen ones to practise on. The reason there is a price diference is that kitchen cupboards sell well and bathroom ones are a little more select. But you can find cheaper ones than that I am sure. A lot cheaper!

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Graeme wrote

Why not use kitchen wall cupboards rather than base units? You'll need to make your own plinth, but I think all the stuff you need, plus the doors and handles etc, is available separately in B&Q. The basin might need a bit more solid fixing.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

suitable

fraction of

chipboard, both

Have you thought about Ikea? They are much cheaper than £250 and probably less than a kitchen unit, and of course made for the job so no alteration required.

Their web site doesn't contain the full range but to give you some idea.

is £80

is £65 (I like this one)

is £12 !

Angela

Reply to
AK

A bit of a follow-up to this - how does one work out the right shape to cut out a unit top to fit a 'semi-countertop' sink? do they come with templates, or what?

Thanks Jon N

Reply to
Jon Nicoll

My counter top sink I bought from the Plumb Centre came with paper templates for laying over the top.

Rick

Reply to
Rickard Dwiggery

My question is, what is the

I refitted my bathroom last year. As well as rearranging the appliances, I built my own fitted furniture for the semi-recessed basin and concealed cistern. I looked at buying cabinets, but the lower cost outlets either had a very limited choice of sizes (e.g. MFI, Wickes, B&Q) or looked rather poor quality (Ikea). Some of the expensive items were very poorly made as well. The main problem you'd face using kitchen cabinets is the height (assuming you can cut down the depth) and door size. A kitchen worktop is normally 900mm heigh, while a bathroom one is only 850mm. For the basin, you really want a unit with a false drawer the full width of the unit (say 600mm), but with two doors underneath - not readilly available.

Anyway, I've made my own out of 18mm WBP ply, with MDF fronts. Bathrooms are tiny compared to kitchens, so you really need to make the most of the space you've got. If you don't feel up to DIY - try phoning around local carpenters to see what they'd charge.

-Antony

Reply to
Antony Jones

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. I think I'll make all of these units myself. I was initially concerned whether the 'expensive' manufacturers were offering something that couldn't easily be constructed oneself (i.e. moisture resistance), but their construction seems the same as anyone else's.

Reply to
Graeme

5 minutes work with a circular saw ;-)

I built mine from IKEA wall units, cut down to 20cm deep. I actually hung them on the wall too. For the worktop, I was thinking for a while what to use and looking for something much thinner than a kitchen worktop. When going through the checkout at IKEA, I spotted a white kitchen door from some other range in their scratched and chipped pile, which when layed flat had a perfect rolled edge. It was only 2 quid too, and it's exactly right for the job. Their doors are normally only something like 11 quid anyway if you needed to buy one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel