'shallow' basin sought for bathroom

Hi All [slightly OT]:

We are looking at new bathroom 'furniture', for a rather small bathroom (

Reply to
Jon Nicoll

Here's one I found earlier:-

vanity unit to fit underneath is called Universo.

Watch out on the prices, though!

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

I recently fitted an Ideal Standard "Space" semi-countertop short projection basin, 37cm projection from wall. The basin goes right to the back of the 20cm deep countertop with the tap(s) offset to the side, so the basin is actually pretty much full size, and not at all like trying to wash your hands or face in a basin which is too small to get your hands in, as is the case with many of the short projection basins!

actually bought it from a tiny high street plumbers merchant, which was cheaper than anywhere else I could find it even on the web. They had to order it, but it only took a day.

Note that the distance between the waste and tap holes is further than some pop-up wastes can handle. The basin actually came with an extended pop-up waste rod, although the seal/swivel ball won't be the right size for all pop-up wastes. The pop-up waste I bought (Wickes, with a monoblock tap) did actually fit the sink OK, even though it was outside it's quoted distance.

Also note there is no provision on the basin for keeping soap (the horizontal-like surfaces actually all slope slightly into the sink, enough so wet soap won't stay put) hence my question about recessed tile soap trays in another thread;-)

Ideal Standard also do the vanity unit to go underneath, but I made mine from IKEA kitchen wall units, cut down to 20cm deep for a tiny fraction of the cost, and I'm very pleased with it. I didn't actually like the look of the Ideal Standard version.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How about this one from Bathstore.com?

's 420mm deep although the unit underneath is not as deep.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

PS. I have an identical one arriving tomorrow for installation.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Hi Andrew Thanks very much for your suggestion. I had been previously looking at the Ideal 'Space' range, but thought they only did a pedastal version.

[...]

Absolutely - this is why I didn't want a 'cloakroom' style basin

[ useful fitting details omitted - thanks]

Yeah, we actually never use the 'soap areas' anyway, so I don't care too much about losing them.

Hmm, interesting. Do I understand correctly that the vanity unit has to take a (large?) proportion of the weight of the basin, ie. the wall fixings are mostly to hold the unit in place? If so, I'd be interested to learn more about what you did here. How did you determine the shape to cut the unit to, for instance?

Thanks muchly Jon N

Reply to
Jon Nicoll