bath tap adapters or other solution

My old bathroom taps, even when tightly turned off, tend to drip. I took them apart today and the washers are very squashed and the metal in the centre of the washer very worn. I went to some local plumbers today. The first said he didn't have the right washer and as the metal in the centre was worn, I probably needed new taps. The second sold me a new top for the taps with adapters to make it work with 1/2 or 3/4 threads. The 1/2 is too small and the 3/4 too big to work, so I guess I need something similar which is 5/8 thread. I don't want to throw money at a new tap. My current one which is a mixer with a shower, will have to do. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the right adapter, or is there another solution I'm missing. I've tried checking on the Net but can't seem to find these adapters at all

Chris

Reply to
cjm

what about the seat the washers tighten onto.

I have sucessfully re-instated several taps with one of those "tap seat cutter" type things available from wickes etc.

Reply to
PeTe33

Wickes do the washers, and a kit to make the metal a bit flatter. Job will cost you a tenner.

This stuff worked for me, your experience my vary.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

a new top for the taps with adapters to make it work with 1/2 or 3/4

I suspect that you have metric taps. I normally cut down oversize washers to fit.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

thanks for the feedback. I'll pop along to Wickes to see what they have and whether it will help. I may also try cutting down the washer, as suggested, but the plumber suppliers I went to, seemed to think that the old tap top was too worn for a replacement washer to do the trick.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
cjm