B&Q solid composite worktops

B&Q can supply laminate, engineered granite and "solid composite" worktops as part of their "elite" (?) kitchen range. Does anyone know what the "solid composite" actually is ? Strangely, this range is not on their (hopeless) website at all. Probably rebadged. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I should imagine that 'solid composite' is a resin based worktop - similar to Corian -

say that their worktops are manufactured from 'an advanced blend of natural materials and pure acrylic polymer' !!

I agree with you about B&Qs website - it's never been that good but recently has gone right downhill. Half the stuff they sell instore isn't even on their web-site. 12 months ago I ordered some replacement interior doors via their web-site. When my daughter tried to do the same recently she couldn't find any interior doors on their site at all!!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Expensive. Ok, just joking. There are two types, one with a chipboard base with a front + upper surface coating about 3mm thick and another which is solid. Corian is the best known name for the second type. The actual stuff is a mineral filler, normally silica (quartz) flour, a resin, probably an epoxy and pigmentation to suit. We used to have a special scientific grade which was not shiny in a microbiology laboratory and it would pick up the microbiological stains and rust stains fairly readily. However some fine wet and dry with water would get rid of them.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt