Worktops (again)

We're installing IKEA kitchen units which are 600 deep as has previously been discussed on this forum. Our pipes etc. are going to mean that we have to stand the units about 5-10cm off the wall to accomodate them. This of course means that no standard worktop is going to fit on the units.

I am not trying to do the kitchen as a dream best kitchen ever, so the price difference between a cheap B&Q worktop and one of the better ones is too much at about 130 quid of difference. Does anyone know anyone out there who supplies cheap standard laminate worktops at non-standard widths?

My other alternative is to get a standard B&Q worktop and put a line of tiles or such like behind it to take it up to the required depth. Is that going to look plain odd?

Reply to
Malcolm

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this. Do the units not have a rebated section near the floor? Mine did AFAICR the bottom came in from the rear

5-10cm to a height of about 100mm and I ran the pipes in the space so formed (I assumed that was what it was for).

The tiles will look odd, I fear!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I thought it was normal practise to recess the pipes into the back of the units ? What width of worktop have you got ? and what do you need ?

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Just fitted a ikea kitchen and moved pipes to run along the floor as there is no service void :@, does mean you get bigger draws and cupboards.

Reply to
Oliver Ciaravella

I had a service void, but didn't recess the cupboards far enough into it to leave the carcass flat against the wall.

Boy, did I rue that decision when it came to fitting the worktop :-(

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

We bought cheap white tiles (10cm square), 25mm chipboard cut to siz and a bit of moulding of the right height to stick in front, the covered the whole lot with tiles. As long as you don't want to use th worktop for rolling pastry, it works fine - and it's heatproof scratchproof (mostly - if you don't slam a cast iron pan on it ever day) and very easy to keep clean.

IMHO the string of tiles on its own would not look good.

David

-- Davide

Reply to
Davide

I think Magnets (?) sell deeper worktops, my mates got a deeper worksurface (700mm?) and its great, you can have a line of clutter against the wall (kettles, toasters etc etc) and still have a decent amount of space to work. Oh and deeper cupboards if you can afford them.

Reply to
Ian_m

Same here, even ran the waste from utility room under the units. There is loads of room with the legs that modern kitchens use. A horizontal row of tile would look naff and be unhygenic. You could always have a custom granite worktop made but that would defeat the object of buying a cheap Ikea kitchen

Reply to
Old Bill

worksurface

Unfortunately i'd already bought 3 lengths of 600mm wide :) I infilled the back with strips of unused worktop ripped down on my table saw, and it's just about ok (it's my kitchen !). I might need a thin strip of tiles to cover the join at some stage, but it's not too bad as it is. The infill strips are only about 25mm in width.

The alternative was removing the kitchen carcasses and starting again. None of which was particularly appealing.

With hindsight, i'd have taken off all the existing plumbing (i had left drains to dishwasher and washing machine intact, and some water feeds to save time) and completely repiped around the new units.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy