Engineered wood worktops

It is possible to buy engineered wood flooring with a hardwood layer of up to 6 mm, and it is also possible to buy engineered stone worktops with a similar thickness layer of reconsituted stone, resin or granite bonded to a chipboard core. However, I can't find any trace of an engineered wood worktop. Wooden worktops all seem to be solid, ranging from moderately expensive models using thin, poor quality beech staves to outrageously expensive types with thick, wide, exotic hardwood staves.

I'm thinking of creating my own engineered wood worktop by cladding a cheap Ikea Pragel laminate worktop with top quality unfinished engineered wood flooring, using a router to rebate in the front edge to make it look solid, and herring boning the corners (all internal) to make the entire worktop look like a single piece. The whole lot would then be sanded and oiled.

Can anyone foresee any problems with this approach - or know why engineered wood worktops don't seem to be commercially available?

Reply to
Roger

Did just this for the basin unit in the bathroom. Used the same wood as the floor. I made up the basic worktop out of two thicknesses of 3/4" MDF glued together. Glued the solid oak (T&G) to that. Cramped up every which way till the glue dried. Used the router to make edging strips. I'm very pleased with the result. Dunno how well it would survive being continually wet, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)