B&Q robbing bastards

J B Banks, Cockermouth

Reply to
mechanic

How does that make them robbing bastards?

They did not force you to but it from them did they?

Reply to
ARW

I was astute. Other may not be. And that makes them robbing bastards in my book.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I hate to say this, you astute person you, but most people are capable of scanning Amazon & Ebay if they want something.

Most are able to understand that service has a price.

Quite a few would be aware that given the age group of the staff in B&Q, their parents are almost undoubtably married.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I know plenty of people who do not have a computer. But, I do know plenty of people. You appear not to.

Driving to the store, parking, wondering round the store, carrying the article to the check out, waiting in a queue to pay, carrying the article to the car in the pissing down rain, driving home, taking the article out of the car in the pissing down rain. What kind of "service" would you call that?

Or, clicking a few keys and having the article delivered the next day ?28 cheaper? I'd call that a "service".

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I have used B&Q, Amazon and Ebay, I have tried to get items replaced ubder warranty from Ebay also, after 3 months, you are on your own.

Nice to see people providing 2 and three year warranties on Ebay, but I have had a hell of a job getting a replacement, or even a repair from an Ebay dealer. Every claim after theit 3 month cutoff point has left me out financially.

I am not actually?

Have you attempted to verify whether any of the staff at your local B&Q are illegitamate?

Why mention it anyway. does it relate to service costs?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Here you go. Right in the town centre. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0557478,-2.7131812,3a,30y,61.68h,81.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPWDR2b6j-lAQUffyqQXSTA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Reply to
harry

We bought the door furniture for our front door there over 20 years ago, while staying overnight.

These days, I use this one a lot:

Bob Eager

In Cambridge there is Mackays of Cambridge Ltd. A larger store than Bob's but still fairly small as shops go.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

Yes still there and still going a proper engineers shoppe.

We also have Gee's in Mill Road rumour has it that they've just changed the shop front display after some 30 odd years;!..

You can still find a drive belt there for a 1970 cassette recorder and an idler wheel for the Dansette! Plus the valves and a cartridge still for same!..

Reply to
tony sayer

In my old home there was a hardware shop just around the corner. Bit of a tip but very well stocked. He was magnificent. He sold up after 27 years. The new owner tried to make it "modern". He went pop after a couple of years, he had no idea what he was doing. There is a high street hardware shop a short drive away from my new home. He is very well stocked and beats the living daylight out of B&Q for the same thing ........ fence paint etc.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Is the item suitable for cutting grass when it is pissing it down rain?

Reply to
ARW

I don't know, you'll have to ask Mrs Pounder Esquire.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

It is due to be delivered tomorrow. I need to RTFM to answer your question. Apparently you can adjust the cutting height by using a lever! With all of my other mowers you had to take the blade off and add/remove spacers. It will be ever so grand!

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

He was not asking you.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Just assisting with your slight communications difficulties.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Is it a big humidity control button?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

We too had a very good local hardware shop. The sort where there is so much crammed in that you can't pass someone else between the shelves. The variety of stock was huge and the prices incredibly low. 18 months ago the owner sold up to retire. Thankfully, the new owner seems be stricking to the same model and there havwe been virtually no changes.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

But a bit closer if you buy it on Wednesday? Thursday? with the Old Farts discount.

Very typical example of price discrimination.

Reply to
newshound

IMHO anyone seriously practical knows that B&Q are a last resort for purchasing, although occasionally useful for browsing.

Although last time I looked their kitchen carcases had a nice combination of various sizes, pretty good quality, and competitive price. (They make their money on the doors).

Well you say that, but while TS and SF are not actually in the high street, for me I now have several shops locally which are reasonably accessible. Plus (for SF at least) easy to place an order on line for collection in store (confirming the availability), so no delivery charge for small orders.

And you can get *much* better and more detailed advice on a huge range of things (like where the clips are hidden on specific models).

Reply to
newshound