B & Q click fit laminate flooring

Decided to laminate the hall and settled on B & Q click fit as it seemed the easiest and quickest option, it's only a small area after all. Followed all the destructions (sic) and came to start the job. First row went in with no major huffing and puffing. The second row however has driven me to the off licence. Join together at 30degrees said the instructions and simply click together, then push into place. Errrr no! 30 degree bit was easy, even for me, but the click didn't happen. Gentle (?) tapping was no help. Any advice from anyone who has used this product would, as usual, be greatly appreciated. John

Reply to
johno

get a scrap bit, fit it to the edge of the bit that needs clicking, and whack with a mallet. The scrap bit protects the real bit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't forget to thank it :-)

Last time I used it, you place the boards together with one at 30 degrees and the click occurs as you lower the board flat.

Some boards have bevelled edges to simulate planking - I once spent 5 mins beating lumps out of a board trying to close this intentional gap. BTW do you have the correct plastic bashing block?

Couple of other things; any dust of muck can stop the joint locking. Check the batch numbers of the laminate. A few thou difference in machining can make a big difference to the fit.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dave,

Thanked the off licence profusely! I did the 30 degree thing, but no click as the board was lowered. I have the correct plastic gadget and the other lever thing. The floor is clean and there is no debris or damage. Batch numbers are all the same as well. Since posting I have wondered if the underlay may be the problem, so I tried laying the boards without it and bingo, easy peasy. The underlay is B & Qs own Floormaster, the sub floor is vinyl tiles on concrete. Just how necessary is underlay? Thanks for the help Always appreciated

John

Reply to
johno

Problem solved, a light sanding of all mating surfaces did the trick, went together sweet as a nut. Been offline for a few weeks so not had the chance to reply and say thanks. John

Reply to
johno