Laminate flooring recommendations

We're considering putting Kahrs London Oak (oiled) throughout our downstairs living area. We would appreciate any comments on this choice including alternatives or recommended suppliers.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
steve

I have it. Its not bad.

Hit the 'net. There are two suppliers of it, one in the south and one in the north who wholesale it.

I would use the one in the north.

Its about as good as it gets for laminate style as opposed to wood planks. My longests run was about 12 meters, and I did not leave enough expansion at one edge, and got buckling this summer as the humidity went up. Now sorted by jigsawing the tight edges out, and covering with oak skirting...

Dead level floors are *mandatory*. Otherwise it moves as you walk on it, even with the foam underlay. Levelling compound is your friend...

Its extremely fast and easy to put togeher, but beware splinters from the (pine) subtsrate. I got one that required doctor attention - too deep to remove myself. In all its bitten me about 5 times. You need no special tools to stick it together apart from a saw.. Its needs very little surplus as well - you can always use cut ends of one row to start the next. I calculated how many meters was needed exactly, including half planks, and rounded up to teh next pack. I had aboout 5 neters left over from over 80 sq meters of laminate.

It goes yellow under sunlight. After a year its a nice mellow color, and has darkened a LOT. Where the kitten pissed on it it has stained the grain a very nice dark color.

Basically I used it because any 'real wood' alternative was likely to have problems with movement with the underfloor heating.

Do we like it? Yes. Its not as nice as real boards - too even both in color and surface - but its the best of the plywoods.

Expect to pay arund 43quid a meter with vat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for your informative response.

We would've preferred solid wood but we'll be laying over underfloor heating and were concerned of potential problems. It is reassuring to hear that you're pleased with your floor.

Reply to
steve