Extending a fence

Help me please..

Ive moved to a new house and the fence is only approx 3ft high so gives me no privacy. How do I connect another panel on top of the existing panel? The exisitng top has been finished off with a flat top piece of wood.

I was thinking of using a bolt on connector bracket that I can then put a new post into...

Is this the correct way of is there another option...?

I defintely want the extension to be a fence panel and not trellis / hedge / bamboo etc.

Any advise welcome!

Reply to
fay

If the current posts are in Metposts it might be easiest to replace the posts with 7 foot ones, and pop 3' panels on top of the existing ones using standard clips.

Reply to
Newshound

Two things here.

- First check whether there are any planning restrictions or covenants around the property which would not allow you to raise the height of the fence.

- Without supporting posts to the full 1800mm height, a panel added to the top would be difficult to support properly. If you don't want a lightweight fence on the top, then you would likely end up with something that would not withstand the first strong wind.

It would be better to replace the whole fence with one of the correct height. By the time you have bought the materials and essentially wasted them, you can be most of the way towards a proper job.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Would the bracket with the new post not support the panel? or does it have to be one post for the full height?

Reply to
fay

I think that you would end up with quite a weak arrangement doing that. If you were just putting up a light and fairly open trellis fence, then I would say that you could attach smaller posts to full height to the existing posts.

However here, you would be adding a fence panel which will act like a sail in the wind. Most likely the brackets would rip out and split the posts.

Take a look at the costs of the various materials for different heights.

In principle you could add 900mm fence panels on top of the existing and use full height posts. However, I reckon that by the time you've looked at it all, it probably won't be worth adding bits to the top.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The original fence will have posts sunk into the ground to a sufficient depth to support a fence of that height. Higher fences need deeper-set posts. Skimp on it and it won't survive the next storm.

Reply to
dom

Remember that if you make it higher you'll also put more of your garden in shade.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A fellow I know has heightened his fence using the existing slotted concrete posts. He removed the existing panels and inserted 6' ones, he then filled the gap with batons. He did lose 2 panels in the exceptional winds a few months back, otherwise they have stood ok. However I doubt if you will be able to get any panels there is a world wide shortage.

Reply to
Broadback

If it faces the road and you want it to be more than 1 metre high, you start by getting planning permission.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar