Extending Fence Posts

I am replacing the panels on my fence because of rot and lack of integrity (1 x 3 cross pieces). It is currently 4' tall and I am installing 6' panels. The posts are cemented in and in good shape - I would like to keep them. They are on 8' centers. What would be the best method for adding 2'+ to the posts? I was thinking I could toe nail (least desirable) but I could also use some square metal brackets on 2 sides (not bad) or several wood dowels (time consuming - there are 45 posts). I think the best and cleanest install would be to use (if it exists) a screw that is threaded on both ends. With a couple pilot holes I could screw into the extension and then twist the whole unit onto the existing post. The panels have 3 cross pieces and since 1 would fall on the extended piece it should keep it from ever twisting.

My question is what would be the best option as far as stability, ease of installation and aesthetics (in that order I think). If my screw option is the best - do those exist and what would they be called? Does anyone have a online resource for that stuff? Are they made big enough?

Thanks! Ian

Reply to
iantjones

There are lots of different metal brackets for posts in Home Depot. I'd look for a sleeve type "coupling" or perhaps a couple angle brackets (two per post) Another option would be to splice them. But your double ended screw might just do the trick.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Search on "dowel screw".

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Lisa

First, any way you connect the extensions to the existing posts will be obvious. Different color due to weathering of the existing post. Different width size due to shrinking of the weathered posts. The dowels must be exactly in the center of the posts and exactly plumb.

The best way is to cut off the old posts at the base and install galvanized metal post anchors to the stump, then install posts to the anchors.

Reply to
Willshak

After review of my post and a sudden recollection getting past my CRS, I am retracting part of my resolution. That is the post anchors. Still cut the old posts at the base and then use the dowel screws as suggested there. This will make any differences in the posts minimal. I recalled that I had done something similar years ago with 8' panels of short fencing, but instead of using a dowel screw, I used 12" pieces of

1" iron pipe to connect a 4x4 fence post to a 4x4 post I cemented into the ground about 2 feet deep and cut off at ground level. I had drilled a 1" hole in the center of both the buried post end and the fence post end. This was not a protective fence but merely homemade panels in the Monticello style at the edge of my driveway as a decoration. When I mowed, I could lift the fence panel off the pipes and set it aside so I could mow in the area. See my post titled "fence" over in alt.binaries.pictures.garden for a pic of the fence panel.
Reply to
Willshak