B&Q Air Con (This time with a working link)

Did any one of you buy this unit? Or can give me information about how good it is?

live in London in a 1 bed basement flat. The bed-room window is very small and the living room window is big but if I open the window it can get very noise. I did not spent a summer in the flat so I don't know what to expect but it look's like there is no sufficient ventilation.

I don't want to buy an air con that will not work.

Can't install a permanent one

Cheers.

Reply to
Golan

It looks very similar to one my father bought about three years ago. I think he got it from B&Q. If not them, it was a near competitor. His has worked well since we installed it. Much better than the type that expel hot air through a hose. Do remember that the outside part is very visible and may attract attention. You will need to drill and sleeve a large hole in the wall for the umbilical hose. Don't skimp on the diameter as it makes fitting the hose difficult. You then need to seal the hole around the hose to stop draughts, rodents, etc. Although the two halves are on a quick release connector that self seals, you loose a small amount of refrigerant every time you disconnect. Try to avaiod doing this as much as possible. My father has been pleased with his. No more swealtering hot summer days. He's in his 80's and can't take that too well now.

John

Reply to
John

The part that you snipped stated "Can't install a permanent one" and the link that was supplied leads to a mobile one. It sounds different to what you are describing!

Reply to
Oh dear

> I live in London in a 1 bed basement flat.

It looks similar to one I have in France, which can pull a room down to around 20C with 35C outside. The umbilical on mine would need a 50mm hole through the wall, so I simply hang it through a part open window. However, the fan is intrusive, especially at night, and I have found that similar comfort levels can be achieved, with less noise, by a slow-running ceiling fan mounted over the bed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I have a similar sized one (Amcor I think) and it will make the room I used it in "icy" but it is VERY noisy.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.