Avenue Supplies using uk.d-i-y posts in their advertising

So point out which definition of the word 'publish' includes the concept of not being public or open. It certainly doesn't appear in the (non-pocket)

2-volume, Shorter OED. Have you managed to find an arch. or sl. definition in the full OED?

And Chambers agrees that 'publish' requires that it be made public.

NB Why choose to argue the matter with a publisher? ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

Turncoat

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
editor (a t) diyfaq (stop) o r g (stop) uk

Reply to
Phil Addison

I understand that the company were doing more than taking the whole newsgroup and making it available to the general public.

Reply to
John Cartmell

,

acknowledge

Well if people must take things out of context to further there non argument....

We are talking about Usenet, the fact is, Usenet works by copying other people 'works' around the world.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

publish

uk.d-i-y.

that

doesn't

against

about

They are not proposing to store the conversations, just the time of contact, party ID's and call duration.

letters

FOAD moron.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

HOW, YOU NEVER CHARGED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well, some might.

Carding telephone boxes would have the same effect; I imagine even the most publicity-hungry would still like some control over the recognition their name gets.

Owain

(c) All rights including the moral rights of the author reserved.

Reply to
Owain

,

newsgroup

So best you shut down all the NNTP to WEB interfaces like Google...

I've never known such a inward looking bunch of morons. :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The last time you used something that you now suggest should not be allowed or the last time you will ever use such a web interface?....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

using

This thread is really nothing but an ignorant witch hunt / lynching....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Oh, do they do that right now, then?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Whether a newsgroup is accessed via NNTP or HTTP it is still a newsgroup. If someone selects individual posts or threads and puts them on a website they are creating a derivative work without consent.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I might be happy to provide a photograph free for a charity magazine yet choose to charge if the Daily Mirror wants it.

Reply to
John Cartmell

,

magazine yet

We are talking about Usenet contributions, not those to your rag...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

,

legally

republish

Google...

You mean like Google does when you use their commercial search engine?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Grunff explained yesterday why we are happy to let Google archive our posts.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
editor (a t) diyfaq (stop) o r g (stop) uk

Reply to
Phil Addison

Google Groups is an HTTP front end to Usenet - it isn't selective of the content of any particular group, so doesn't constitute a derivative work.

Reply to
Rob Morley

consent.

What utter clap trap.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I might choose to provide a short article free on a news group yet charge if the Daily Mirror wants to print it. What's the difference? Certainly no one can assume that I have no rights in the matter - and one of the rights that I retain is the right to charge for the use of my material. Even if I have chosen to give it free elsewhere.

Reply to
John Cartmell

,

consent.

Did you read what I said? You are wrong in what you say above, or do you get answers about gas installations when you search for answers about pitting up a shelf?!...

If anything Google search is being a dammed sight more selective than the site that started this thread and what's more, it's being a dammed sight more commercial with it's targeted adverts that depend on the search string used.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::