Auto dimmer for LEDs

Thanks for confirming my worse fears.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That you haven't got a clue what you are talking about in that it's not the traic or the SCR where the problem lies it's how and when the triac or SCR is triggered changing either will NOT change the triggering of it.

And that is why you need to change to a trailing edge dimmer replacing a traic or SCR will have NO effect on triggering. It's like replacing teh fuse to get rid of the problem of a short. Do you put nails in fuseboxes to stop them blowing too ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

So you've not Googled to find out what an SCR is?

I dunno, Dave. It's many many years since I had a fusebox. Or indeed some el cheapo dimmer that wouldn't work with dimming LEDs. My 25 year old Home Automation ones do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The vast majoroty don't work with dimmable LEDs.

strange condiering you have claimed to replace the traics why replace them ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not many people keep taking the piss out of their own stupdity.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Their own WHAT? Oh, I see, it's an example of your own stupidity...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I haven't got 'the vast majority'. Have you?

You've not learned a single thing from these posts, have you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes I have . I'm not using kit which is 1/4 of a century old.

Not from you there is nothing but studidity from you. Now explain again why you replaced your triacs ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Of course not. You keep on breaking things through your own stupidity.

Explain again? Since you didn't understand the first time - with others trying to explain it to you too - why would you understand now?

For someone who works in the education field not being able to learn at all seems very odd.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Where do you get that idea out of the usual place your arse. I dimmer that I throw out in nearly 30 years. How many triacs have yuo chanaged in that timne ? What a waste of time.

yuo claim that replacing triacs turns makes a dimmer go from a leading edge to a trailing edge dimmer.

Some like you are just too thick to learn. every site I've seen says pretty much teh same thing about dimmable LEDs' why are yuo saying they are all wrong.

Which could be why I haven't had any lamp or bulb fail in the last 15 months or so.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Only in your rather warped mind.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Trailing Edge, AKA Reverse Phase Control, RFC is a technical backwater , a patch for retro fit to cover early driver limitations.

LEDs are best dimmed and driven at the driver.

From article quoted "...adjustable minimum brightness..." isn`t something that`s needed when LEDs can be dimmed to near zero directly at driver.

Dimming the power, whatever way, to the driver will always have aminimum setting below which cannae go.

If you want to retrofit rather than rewire , major brand dimmable LEDs will now make a reasonable job of dimming to a low level on any phase chopping dimmer.

Reply to
alanroberts931

Interesting. I'm a very late adopter of LEDs indoors since I want a decent light quality and the ability to dim them. And was surprised when a recent dimmable LED bought for not a lot at ASDA dimmed perfectly on a 25 year old dimmer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

what do you mean by that ?

very technical dimming the power how do you do that ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have had that ability for a number of years it;s only in teh last 15 months or so that the price has come down enough to make it tempting. I've been dimming LEDs for years using PWM.

Really you said you didn't buy your electrical stuff from ASDA.

Reply to
whisky-dave

A dedicated LED driver, rather than having it incorporated in the bulb.

The same sort of idea as using an external power supply to run low voltage halogen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No I didn't. You've invented it - again. Given the time you spend posting, I'd expect you to check up on earlier posts.

I'll buy 'electrical stuff' from where I get the best value for what I want - or in the case of a couple of low powered LEDs, where it happens to be convenient.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then where would it be incorporated if it;s not in the bulb or lamp itself.

Like that was a big succsess ratherthan a con for most.

Reply to
whisky-dave

ASDA then ? Maybe this is why your bulbs were destroying your dimmers

Reply to
whisky-dave

cheaper rather than early

Usually they're best dimmed wherever it's cheapest

There are a few ways you can dim RC ballasted LEDs all the way to zero.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr