Auto dimmer for LEDs

Conceptually its simple: the current is the intensity of the light.

Its the non linear relationship between current and voltage that makes dimmers that expect a resistive load, not perform linearly, if indeed they perform at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Low voltage halogen like MR16 not only are more efficient than the 240v equivalant (GU10) but last longer too. As you'd have known if you'd ever had them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was never stupid enough to have them, which is why you rarely see them as most get them removed. On paper they are more efficinet but most mount the m in ceiling as downlighters where they can;t be cooled properly so there l ifetime seriously reduces. Which is anothe rreason you don;t see them much now.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Explain how that is relevant between low voltage and mains halogen?

But thanks for confirming you've never look at them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

because LV halogen is being replaced because it;s not as good as people thought it was having to use transformers whch usually go placed where you couldn't get to them.

I;'m not still using a 25 year-old ASDA products

Reply to
whisky-dave

As I said thanks for confirming you know nothing about them. Low volt power supplies can fit through the hole for the light fitting - so easily accessible if ever needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

RPC dimmers are considerably more complax and costly than forward phase choppers.

Dimming seems usually considered in domestic installls as something of a luxury, cost isn`t a primary consideration.

If you have one, there is a multi multi million pound market available, unfortunately you cannae change the laws of physics....

Reply to
alanroberts931

LV halogen is as efficient as halogen gets, light quality knocks even best of LED into a cocked hat.

Your mixing up the horrendous GU10 con with decent MR 16/11 LV downlighters.

GU10, mains voltage MR16, have notoriously poor lamp life, extermely vibration sensitive and rubbish beam control but they looked like nice trendy LV spots but without those hard to understand transformer things.

Reply to
alanroberts931

Don't need to.

Current drivers is all it takes.

Knowing how to drive a diode junction has been part of electronics for years...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

cheaper lamps not cheaper dimmers

Cost is why many more aren't sold. Cost is critical for most domestic goods. It's why there's so much difference between domestic & industrial versions of the same thing.

Is there? I'm not convinced.

I just need to understand some basic electronics.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There are several ways to do it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ah. Someone else has actually noticed this. I was thinking everyone on here colour blind.

Mr Whisky can and does mix up about everything. Really does show what spirits can do to the brain.

Yup. Specially made for those who don't understand lighting. And probably to increase sales of LEDs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. I can think of more than two. None are massively complicated, but all are more complicated than a pot a cap and a triac.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

but not worth putting in if you already have a 240V lighting circiut and all you need is just one or two bulbs replaced every year or so.

I havent; any MR 16/11 LV downlighters I don;t like downlighters.

I don;t want to mount transformers in the loft.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes and that is what needs changing NOT thre triac.

Reply to
whisky-dave