Astonishing Dyson puff piece on the BBC

Sorry to lump all you types who bring an irrelevant point about the EU into any discussion together.

But I'm sure you are searching far and wide for such things since the Brexit Nirvana we were promised seems ever further away.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You can't just nip into your local shop and buy one though. They are simply not available in normal high-street shops.

Reply to
Steve Walker

You mean the same as many light bulbs? Something you might need quite quickly, unlike a new vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I don't know about you, but I have spare bulbs in the cupboard and no spare vacuum cleaners.

As to which is more urgent - if I had no spare bulb, I'd borrow one from somewhere less important in the house or use a table lamp. If I've been doing some DIY and have dust and debris everywhere, I might well need to vac up straight away to be able to live in it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Don't worry. Dave will happily put the words in your mouth.

Reply to
Richard

I have a wet or dry one kept in the workshop. Which would do if the upright failed completely. And a hand held cordless one too.

With a purchase like that I don't tend to just go out and buy the first one I can find.

Don't with light bulbs either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I recently chucked out all my spare CFLs, I have one spare LED bulb in the cupboard (because I bought a pack for use in the kitchen) and a spare incandescent oven bulb.

I have a boxed pre-2017 Miele vacuum in the loft, same model as I'm currently using.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have 3 spare vacuum cleaners and I only have a 2 bed flat. I have 3 tin/can openers too. Got loads of screwdrivers, most of which I won't be able to find if looking for a specific one.

You don't have a dustpan and brush I have 3 sets somewhere .

I wouldn't use my dyson for DIY debris like wood shavings or metal ,or plaster or brick. Wouldn;t us it if I spill water or cooking oil or pertrol. Don't use it for vacuuming up lost screws/nuts/bolts either.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Why?

Two here and one of those was only bought because my wife has badly arthritic hands and needs an electric tin opener.

I've got the same, but I also have a wall mounted set in the garage, that I am being very careful to replace after every use.

Dustpan is currently full of muck, on a pile of stuff that is due for the tip (the dustpan is not going), but I have no idea where the brush for it is at the moment.

Ours is a Henry, it thrives on abuse. I have used a Dyson a number of times (in a holiday rental over Christmas mainly) and found it appallingly easy to block up - streamers and sometimes the cardboard disks from party poppers would clog it ... while Henry will happily vac up the entire plastic body of a party popper too!

Reply to
Steve Walker

You got an incandescent oven? What upset it?

Reply to
bert