Asbestos-like material

Part of the roof of our 1997 garage is a material which looks a little like asbestos, but I'm sure it isn't. It is part of the roofline, and basically is the underside of the gable roof, above the brickwork. It's doesn't have dimples, like asbestos cement, but does still look like some kind of fibrous cement.

Any ideas what it is? Or have I answered my own question - cement fibre board?

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

I think you have answered it... it would need to be prior to '84 to be asbestos.

Reply to
John Rumm

modern fibre cement tends to use glass fibre rather than asbestos

NT

Reply to
NT

OK - thanks - that's as I thought, though as early as 1984 surprises me. If asbestos was finally banned in 1999, just where was it still being used up until that point?

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

OK - thanks - I guess the appearance is pretty similar though?

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Asbestos was still being used up to the late 90's in the UK. To say anything post 1984 will not be asbestos is grossly misleading.

Reply to
Camdor

That would be a good idea but my architect told me that they also use wood fibres which don't last very long.

Reply to
Matty F

It was still being used, but was no longer included in things like fibre reinforced cement or artex type coatings IIUC.

Reply to
John Rumm