Artex

Gateshead.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I detest artex, and I'm on the side of 40 which, um, er, shall we say tends to have had more experience! Go figure!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

You must have been on holiday when I went up north! ;O) Did you go anywhere nice, dahn sahf perhaps? ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Oh that, that'll be Scotland I reckon! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

LOL! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

I think the problem most people have is with "overdone" Artex. A bit of a pattern on the ceiling is fine, but 5 to 10mm deep furrows is a bit over the top.

The house we have just sold had Artexed walls in one room. I had little problem with them, but they did leave decorating options rather limited

- no chance of wallpapering for example. The other problem was attaching things to the wall - the "lumpy bits" either meant that you had to force shelf brackets to fit, or had to hack at the wall to make it flat, and then when you come to remove the things, you leave a permanent and unrepairable mark on the wall.

We've just bought "Artex Castle". The bedrooms aren't too bad (most have the original 1930s ceilings, but one has deep "comb" pattern Artex), but the stairs and landing are lethal (swirly pattern with sharp bits sticking proud of the wall by 5mm or more). The living room has wood pannelling around the chimney and a *horrid* lumpy Artex ceiling which looks like someone threw little balls of the stuff at the ceiling and then painted over the lot three or four times to cover up the gaps. It also has a horrendous "feature" around the light fitting.

The archway into the kitchen is - literally - an inch thick in Artex, lumpy pattern again with what were probably originally ivy leaves or something but are now indistinct under several layers of yellowed gloss white.

The rear lobby also has a very thickly-patterned ceiling with something funny around the light.

I have taken some photographs of this mess, including a couple of stereo pairs. Maybe if I get a bored moment I'll put them on the website somewhere :-)

It is fortunate that we have planned a lot of work for this house. I reckon it's going to need new ceilings throughout and probably replastering throughout. Great fun...

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

It looks like a DIY project which has gone horribly wrong. What's it called, "Angel of the north"? Gordon Bennett, if the little green men get their telescope out they will think we are all big monstrosities with wings that don't flap.

Three words - Newcastle Brown Ale. You can retract your statement if you want ;)

At just gone half past two in the afternoon?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Here I am, sat here looking up at my artex ceiling, and wondering what on earth people have against it!

Okay, okay, I know it's a "personal" thing. But could I ask what sort of ceiling covering you prefer?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I think you've hit the nail on the head there PoP - when selling houses, avoid anything that can be construed as personal taste. Sure, not everyone will hate artex, but you want to minimise the possibility that even one person will hate it.

Unfortunately, it's at this point where I diverge from "received wisdom" in my views - I don't agree that magnolia is the least offensive colour in terms of saleability - I rate it up there with woodchip on the walls because the two go together in my mind like peaches and cream.

If you don't want the clinical look (i.e. whitewash everything) you could use very light pale pastel shades to add a bit of (non-personal) character and warmth to what would otherwise seem lifeless.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

I can't speak for the north of England. There are other places "north" you know (Scotland, Isle of Man, etc). As for NI we have Guinness. You can agree with me now.

Tea is at six o'oclock here too.

Reply to
Suz

Agreed. You are buying me a pint of Guinness? Done deal.

Pop

Reply to
PoP

Aaah PoP don't you worry about it. Sure it's your ceiling and how cares as long as you are happy.

Reply to
Suz

"PoP" wrote | >It's us lot in the northern bit that have taste. | Three words - Newcastle Brown Ale.

On my first visit to England in about 7 years, a few months ago, I was struck by what a pronounced southern accent the station announcer in Newcastle had.

| You can retract your statement if you want ;)

Nah, I don't like English beer.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That may be the type of artex which others find distasteful. The artext we've got on our ceilings here is very random rather than swirls, maybe a couple of mm deep.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Of course you could; perfectly alright!