Saniflow - are they any good?

I have read some horror tales in the FAQ about these things but I need to install some kind of masticator for the on-suite I am building. Your views/recommendations would be appreciated. tia, Ken remove 'spam' from email to reply

Reply to
Ken Riley

Basically they do work, BUT....

the b(i/o)g problem is its possible to drop things down the bath/basinshower/loo that will totally bork a saniflo pump.

They cope with pee, they cope with turds, they don't cope with sanitary towels, bic razors, makeup tops, nappies, and even quantities of hair.

My friends having siuffered weeks of turd ridden shower pan, have taped the lid of the loo shit except for emergency pees, and now shave elsewhere...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There was a Saniflow loo already fitted in a house I once owned.

Overall it worked very well and it was a useful bonus having 2 loo's in the house.

As the other poster noted they do not cope well with heavy waste, IE sanitry towels etc. But normal waste and loo roll are find. In the 3 years we where there the only time I had a problem was when one of the kids decided to fill with the pan with unravelled loo roll and flush it! That was an unpleasent job to sort out.

They do make a bit of a noise when the loo is flushed as the maserator does it's job but only lasts a few seconds and is not that loud..

Used sensibly I think they are worth it to have the extra loo.

Eric.

Reply to
Eric the Red

"masticator" = something which chews.

I believe Saniflos are more commonly called "macerators" which is a bit odd if you read the dictionary definition, though I did once work at a place with far too many of these devices, and a fellow engineer who used to call them "emaciators".

Ok on a secondary loo where you can be sure that the device won't be abused (e.g. an en-suite to your own bedroom) but *never* as the main family loo, especially where there are children involved. The FAQ doesn't lie. Not only do the things block, but if you have bathroom queues they will overheat and cutout. This is especially true (IME) of the units which are supposed to deal with the outflow from sinks and showers - although they supposedly have a better duty cycle than the loo-only versions it never seemed to be the case at work.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove