I need math help!

Reply to
William E. Prisavage

Dear All,

I am sure some of you can solve this in your head, but I don't know how to do this.

I have a box that I need to solve the interior volume for.

The side of the box has four sides. The base is 10-7/8", the one side that is at a 90 degree angle to the base in 4" high, the other two lengths are

10" and 10-1/2". The box is 8-7/8" wide and the material is 3/4" MDF.

What is my interior volume?

This box is for a subwoofer and I know the range that the box can fall within, 1/3 cubic foot to 3/4 cubic foot. I was aiming for the high side, and I hope I am close.

Thanks for your help,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

Volume = Length x Width x Height

Length multiplied by Width gives you the area of the bottom of the box in square units - as in square inches.

Multiply that number by the Height to find the Volume in cubic units - as in cubic inches.

Reply to
Herbster

Here is a link to a pic of the box,

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

I can't picture the box you're describing. Can you have mercy on this poor stubble-jumper and start again?

Your base is 10-7/8. Square?

Then how do the other dimensions come into play?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Ah. OK. Sorry. The picture helps a lot.

Visually, divide your speaker housing into TWO boxes.

The rectangular one on the bottom - compute volume as already described.

The triangular box - for lack of a better term - on the top - compute the area using the same formula - then divide the result by 2.

Add the two volumes together to get the total volume.

Reply to
Herbster

1 volume of prism-shaped top = length x width x height/2 = volume 2 total volume = volume 1 + volume 2 1 cubic foot = 12x12x12 cubic inches

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

face bottom edge on my bench), that edge is 10-7/8". The only right angle on the side of the box is on the left, coming up from the base, that left edge in 4". The edge that the speaker in sitting on is 10-1/2". The right edge coming up from the base, the one with my speed square beside it is 10".

The depth, or width of the box, along the dimension where the clamps are is

8-7/8".

I am sure there are math terms for these measurements defining sides of an irregular polygon [I think that is what I am making :).], but I don't think I ever knew them...

Is this enough info to understand the shape of the box?

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

Your dimensions are for the outside of the box, yes? And you need the interior airspace volume, not including the MDF walls, right?

I get .199 cubic feet... 343.27 cubic inches... Drew it in Autocad to get the area of the side...

If the dimensions you gave were for the inside of the box and not the outside... .363 ft cubed, or 627.4 inches cubed...

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Been a long time since I used some of the math needed. Section it and it will be much easier to do each portion.

If all else fails, fill it with sawdust. Then measure how much sawdust by pouring it into a known measure. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Damn, a fully on topic post using sawdust. U da man!!!!!

Wes

Reply to
clutch

That helps a lot.

Measure the inside of the bottom part where you can picture a regular box.

Volume 1.

pretend the angled part at the top iis another box on top of that, then divide volume by 2 to get volume 2

Add the two numbers.

You'll be close.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dear Leon,

Umm, it will not be a 15" sub, I do not have the space.

This is for my 2003 Ford Ranger extended cab pickup. I didn't want to use up the entire back of the cab, I wanted to extend the centre console and put a sub in there that wouldn't interfere with the jump seats or front seat movement, reclining.

The sub I am using is a Kicker Solo Baric 8" sub, it is square, so in effect it sounds and acts larger than it's 8" size would suggest. The sub will be driven by a 350 watt RMS Alpine mono amp. This was the best set-up I could come up with, given my limited space

I have to finish it this weekend, the sub, speakers and amps are being installed on Tuesday. I will post pics if you really wanna know.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

LOL.... 6" That ain't a Sub Woofer... That's more of a mid range speaker...;~)

Reply to
Leon

Ohhhh.. ;~) So are you gonna be one those people that ride around with the sub turned up so much that all the sheet metal and door trim panels rattle?

Reply to
Leon

On a serious note, try locating a large paperback named "Mathematics Made Easy". Cost is around $8 or so. It covers all manner of math problems, questions and formulas that assist with everyday stuff. Answers are all in the back. Good book.

Reply to
John DeBoo

I can hear the subs in the kids cars pounding a half block away from my closed up house.

Reply to
Leon