Aqua Panels for Showers

Has anyone got experience of using any type of aqua-panels (wet-walling) in showers. We've heard that Mermaid are the top quality in this product and are keen to have some sort of aqua boards in our shower, instead of tiles and grout.

Any comments welcome.

Jo

Reply to
Jo

I had advice that Respatex was the best product out there ... (you have to make your own decision.)

I did 2 showers with Respatex, and one complete bathroom.

Reason for me was that grout fails, (esp in corners) and had a lot of work in previous house due to water penetrating grout and running down behind tiles.

It is easy to fix ... the pain is that because there is a male/female profile on long edge, you have to use this, so if you only have a short piece to fit ... still have to rip a whole sheet. Ended up with a lot of offcuts ... but they have been useful.

Would I use it again ..... absolutley.

Reply to
Osprey

I've just refitted our shower with Multipanel

I did it primarily because I thought it would be quicker than boarding and tiling - how wrong I was! Maybe just me, but I found it really quite difficult to fit, in fact. There's absolutely no margin for error; everything has to be precisely flat/true, which I did achieve but took a long time probably because I was terrified about making a mistake and trashing one of the boards, which are *very* expensive!

The other issue was that I found the instructions pretty confusing - it all comes as a kit with special joints and seals, and it's aimed at professionals who fit them all the time rather than a diy-er doing a one-off.

I'd be happy to fit another one now, now that I've got the experience, and I have to say I'm delighted with the final result - much nicer looks than tiles, far easier to keep clean, and I hope zero chance of leaks in the future (the reason for the refurb).

FWIW I got my all stuff from

(who were absolutely fine) rather than direct from the manufacturer's website as it was a lot cheaper

David

Reply to
Lobster

I think I used Mermaid. As others have said, you have to be quite accurate and there is a bit of a knack fitting the joints. Best to use a tray with an upstand "behind" the board, but not essential. I would

*never* go back to tiles and grout.
Reply to
Newshound

Its generally better to silicone corners rather than grout them for that reason...

Another option is the various cementious backing boards for the tiles that are not damaged by getting wet.

Reply to
John Rumm