Any experience here with solar panels or windmills?

I've been interested in potentially going a smidgeon more green, and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with solar panels (water warming, or even photo voltaic), and/or windmills.

The research online does not compare to useful observations from people who have actually installed them.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

alt.energy.homepower

Reply to
ransley

on 6/5/2008 11:31 AM Thomas G. Marshall said the following:

Al Gore does not have solar panels, or any other energy saving improvements, installed on his 40,000 sq ft Nashville, Tennessee house. Since he is the recipient of an Academy Aware for his documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth", on global warming, I guess they don't work, or it is just us who haven't a wife that is the heiress of the Heinz fortune have to make the sacrifices. He uses over 18,000 kwh of electricity a month and his natural gas bill is over $1000 per month. George Bush does have energy saving improvements on his house in Crawford, Texas. No cites here, just Google it.

Reply to
willshak

Al Gore calls himself an environmentalist, yet he has four (!) kids. Snort.

Reply to
<h>

You are working too hard. Just buy "carbon credits" and pat yourself on the back for being considerate and thoughtful.

Seriously the least expensive way to get a little greener is to look at your current consumption and see what you can reduce.

Reply to
George

alt.energy.homepower is the group with the expertise.

Reply to
Pete C.

Just for openers, Tipper Gore is NOT the heiress of the Heinz fortune. I&#39;ll leave it to others to decide how much of the rest of your post is accurate.

Just for starters...

salty

Hypocrite?

salty

adding insulation, buying a FUEL EFFICENT VEHICLE, CF lights, these will no doubt net way larger savings than going solar or wind......

although all have advantages.

wind is location location location, solar needs living where you get lots of sun.. desert southwest good, pittsburgh why bother.

Reply to
hallerb

There&#39;s nothing intrinsically wrong with hypocrisy. 90% of gynecologists are male.

Reply to
HeyBub

John Kerry is married to Terissa Heinz not Al Gore

Reply to
tmurf.1

Absolutely, he lives in a 10,000 square foot piggy "house" and consumes

20 times the national average of electricity. Putting a couple solar panels on the roof doesn&#39;t mean he isn&#39;t a hypocrite.
Reply to
George

Your information was not only wrong when it was first touted, but it&#39;s even further from the truth now.

Reply to
salty

John Kerry is not married to Al Gore?

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

That reference sure shoots down the previous idiots post.

Reply to
Bob F

Yes, Al Gore is a hypocrite. He&#39;s only installed his solar panels very recently and that was after a year ago, when people publicly exposed his huge energy bills in his over size mansion. He&#39;d been living with a utility bill of $30K a year, $500 a month just to heat his swimming pool, while running around telling the rest of us we&#39;re destroying the planet.

He still lives in a huge mansion and has at least one other home as well. He regularly flies around in private jets. Yet, his His movie "An Inconvenient Truth" asks "Are you ready to change the way you live?"

If that isn&#39;t a hypocrite, I don;t know what is.

Reply to
trader4

June 20-22, 2008 Midwest Renewable Energy Fair Custer, WI (near Stevens Point)

Great event with resources, vendors, presentations and workshops on all forms of alternative renewable energy.

franz fripplfrappl

Vote Republican. It&#39;s not that they don&#39;t care. They just don&#39;t get it.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Putting a couple panels on a piggy 10,000 square foot "house" doesn&#39;t change anything. Putting panels on a normal sized efficient house certainly would. This is algore after all who is telling us what we should all do. In fact it is no different than a drug addict lecturing us about the evils of drugs while continuing to push stuff up his nose.

Reply to
George

His house is actually mostly used for office space, just like any other 10,000 square foot office building. I&#39;m not talking a spare bedroom used as a home office. This office has a staff or employees. And he didn&#39;t "just put a couple of panels on the roof", nitwit. In fact, he would have covered his roof with panels sooner, but local codes prevented it. The house is also using geo-thermal, and many other measures to save energy. This work was completed well over a year ago.

Too bad you couldn&#39;t install a couple of "panels" on top of your head that would improve your meager brain power.

Reply to
salty