Free solar panels, is this a bona fide offer?

A neighbour pointed me to the web site at http://www.homesun.com / which supplies and fits solar panels and claims some installations can be done for free, the costs borne by the government green energy scheme.
Now this all sounds too good to be true, so I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience of this or similar companies? The neighbour appears to have signed up for his free installation, so I await to see what happens.
MM
Add pictures here
βœ–

There's just been a long discussion on this group on this subject.
If something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is - and in this case it definitely is.
I bet your neighbour also thinks he's won the Spanish Lottery.
Most companies offering this service at least have the decency to offer to lease your roof from you for about £79 p.a.
--
hugh

Add pictures here
βœ–
writes

do they?
Care to point us to one
tim
Add pictures here
βœ–

See previous thread.
--
hugh

Add pictures here
βœ–
writes

"expanding foam alone for fixing UPVC windows in place?"
Don't see the relevance
tim
Add pictures here
βœ–
writes

Theres a lot want some money off of you to aid the installation cost too.
I know, that's why I asked for pointers to ones who actually paid to "rent" the roof.
tim
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:47:02 +0100, MM wrote:

Which sort of "solar panels", photo-voltaic or thermal?

Can't be arsed to read the scam they are pulling but I expect that the free installation and maintenace for 25 years is dependant on them getting all the FIT payments. All the householder gets is a slightly reduced electricity bill. If they are at work all day it will only be a slight reduction as well.
There is also the unknown effect that having a PV installation on house, with the FIT payments not going to the householder, will have on the value of the property. I wouldn't be interested in buying such a place at all. PV and the householder getting the FITs is another mater and may slighly enhance the value.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 15/07/2011 15:47, MM wrote:

Its legal.
There is a huge Feed in Tariff (FiT) paid to owners of home generation systems for the electricity they produce (regardless of whether they use it themselves or export it to the grid). In the case of the most ineffective and pointless schemes like solar PV, the tariff is currently over 43p per kw/h generated (with a further payment of a bit over 3p if you actually export any of that).
So said company installs the kit at their expense, and then claims all the FiT payments (probably £800 ish per year). You get to lend them roof space rent free, and they let you keep the lekky generated (estimated to be worth anything from £70 - £140 per year).
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–

It's a legitimate offer. The owner of the roof gets to use the "free" electricity that the panels generate and the company owing the installation get the FIT payments.
Whether it is worth the aggro or nor for under 100 pounds of leccy per year is another matter.
tim
Add pictures here
βœ–

i wonder what the terms of the contract are if they get damaged or stolen....
will the house insurers put up the premiums for people with solar panels on the roof, that's if you tell them in the first place,
but say you fall out with a neighbor, who then gets his kids to 'accidentally' lob cricket balls onto the solar array, or even just chuck rocks on them.
what happens when the scrap metal marked comes back down to a sensible level, and it's no longer worth the pikeys trouble going on roofs to nick lead, (or the copper from the cables from the solar panels :) and they turn to nicking the solar panels?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gazz wrote:

Not much because by that time everyone will realise their true worthlessness.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 14:10:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Are they? This is a serious question; I'm not being sarcastic. Do you consider solar panels not worth the money? If so, I'll think of other alternatives, one being a wood-burning stove. (By the way, I'm no interested in saving the environment, only in saving money. Anything I do that saves me money AND saves the environment, well, that's just a bonus.)
MM
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah right! By the way, how many children do you have?
Add pictures here
βœ–
MM wrote:

I cosnsider them not worth the money in terms of Saving the Planet
They can be profitable, but its profit at taxpayers expense..a bit like an MP cooking his expenses.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Well the panels themselves have value - given they are 'kin expensive and there are plenty of times they can be useful for getting power in off grid locations (obviously not with the grid feed inverters).
It would only take a supply of cheap fake panels (or knackered real ones) to make swapping them when no one is looking worthwhile for some toe rag.
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–
In message

Harry, if you can't do anything else, please learn to post properly
You have posted your answer BELOW John's sig sep, ands you've included his complete sig (I left it all there to show you
... FFS
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 23:19:03 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

Do it in daylight then. Sign written van, logo matching overalls, story for anyone who asks about the panels needing to be "maintained" or "refurbished" due to toxic chemicals leaking due to a manufacture fault or "replaced" as the wrong ones where fitted orginally.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:39:25 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

"maintained"
manufacture
Not at all. Having a van that looks the part and a plauseable story should anyone ask is a very common technique used by tea leaves.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Completely SOP for crims of all kinds; hard hat, fluorescent tabard, clipboard.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 52nd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3177
Sing, for song drives away the wolves.
Gazz wrote:

No change to the premium from my insurer.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk